Advice needed on a EL84 1x12 combo...

Shinequwa

• Members

Looking for one that has a good amount of clean headroom and under $1k new or used. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mesa F-30 and Express 5:25. The F-30 is more aggressive on overdrive, while the Express has lusher reverb. Both have excellent cleans and breaking up tones, so the choice will probably be down to how aggressive you want your amplifier to sound.

Of course, the AC-30 also comes to mind which has a ton of clean headroom, but the newer CC series doesn't get the highest reliability mark from owners I've talked to.

• Members

Mesa F-30 and Express 5:25. The F-30 is more aggressive on overdrive, while the Express has lusher reverb. Both have excellent cleans and breaking up tones, so the choice will probably be down to how aggressive you want your amplifier to sound.

Of course, the AC-30 also comes to mind which has a ton of clean headroom, but the newer CC series doesn't get the highest reliability mark from owners I've talked to.

Reliablilty is an issue for me, so I would most likely not consider newer voxes. The Express 5:25 has a 10" speaker, doesn't it??

• Members
Reliablilty is an issue for me, so I would most likely not consider newer voxes. The Express 5:25 has a 10" speaker, doesn't it??

Yes, the Express 5:25 does have a 10" speaker, but sounds a lot bigger than the size suggests. Also, it makes a smokin' mini-stack with the 5:25 head and two of the 1x10 cabs. :) Of course, you haven't mentioned what kind of music you play, so I'm shooting in the dark here.

ExpressFivesome-Large.jpg

• Members

I hadn't even considered Carvin. I'll have to look into the Nomad.

I have one. I was thinking about selling it, but I'm not sure any more. It claims 50 watts which is unusual for an EL-84 amp and even dimed, the clean channel hardly has any distortion at all. Nice small, portable package too.

• Members

If you aren't afraid to deal with the popular bias against the brand name, check out the Crate V Series V3112 combo (the American made one). The clean channel is ridiculously (imo) clean and stays that way up into impressive volume levels. It's too clean for my tastes, actually; I prefer a dirty-clean sound. But it's definitely worth checking out. And at a much more affordable price than some others you may be considering. :thu:

• Members
If you aren't afraid to deal with the popular bias against the brand name, check out the Crate V Series V3112 combo (the American made one). The clean channel is ridiculously (imo) clean and stays that way up into impressive volume levels. It's too clean for my tastes, actually; I prefer a dirty-clean sound. But it's definitely worth checking out. And at a much more affordable price than some others you may be considering.
:thu:

That's a good choice too. Nice sounding amps.

• Members
If you aren't afraid to deal with the popular bias against the brand name, check out the Crate V Series V3112 combo (the American made one). The clean channel is ridiculously (imo) clean and stays that way up into impressive volume levels. It's too clean for my tastes, actually; I prefer a dirty-clean sound. But it's definitely worth checking out. And at a much more affordable price than some others you may be considering.

I saw that MF had one with a Tone Tubby speaker. That one looks interesting to me.

• Members
I saw that MF had one with a Tone Tubby speaker. That one looks interesting to me.

Haven't tried it with the speaker upgrade (mine has the Celestion Seventy/Eighty, or whatever the stock cheaper Celestion is), but folks on here have said the TT speaker is smoother overall, fwiw. :thu:

They're solid amps, imo. Plus, you won't find the name "Crate" printed anywhere on 'em. :poke: lol...

• Members
VHT Pitbull 45?

See them fairly frequently on Craig's List for

Supposed to be a very good sounding EL84 amp.

PB45_010.jpg

+1 for the VHT Pitbull 45/12 combo amp. I got one in a the hard to find British racing car green vinyl. The clean channel sounds wonderful. The drive channel can get a good classic rock/blues crunch, but not any kind of heavy metal/nu metal kind of tone though. The shift, bright, ,boost, & edge (drive channel only) buttons on each channel allows you to shape each channel the way you would like it to sound. The 4 button footswitch (drive/clean, boost, effects loop, reverb) is quite useful in its functions. I use the effects loop in series and use the effects level knob as a master volume for the amp. It works great in that setup. Great boutique amp for under $1,000.

Guitar George

• Members
Haven't tried it with the speaker upgrade (mine has the Celestion Seventy/Eighty, or whatever the stock cheaper Celestion is), but folks on here have said the TT speaker is smoother overall, fwiw.

They're solid amps, imo. Plus, you won't find the name "Crate" printed anywhere on 'em. :poke: lol...

Thanks. I'm going to look into this amp, as it sounds like it might be the right fit for me. Sounds are much more important to me than a logo on the amp!

• Members

Perhaps a Classic 30? I haven't personally tested the headroom on mine, but it's always another amp to consider. Should be easy to find one in your local guitar store.

Great amp, but not quite enough headroom for what I need right now. I wish they made the 50 in a 1x12.

• Members
PB45_010.jpg

+1 for the VHT Pitbull 45/12 combo amp. I got one in a the hard to find British racing car green vinyl. The clean channel sounds wonderful. The drive channel can get a good classic rock/blues crunch, but not any kind of heavy metal/nu metal kind of tone though. The shift, bright, ,boost, & edge (drive channel only) buttons on each channel allows you to shape each channel the way you would like it to sound. The 4 button footswitch (drive/clean, boost, effects loop, reverb) is quite useful in its functions. I use the effects loop in series and use the effects level knob as a master volume for the amp. It works great in that setup. Great boutique amp for under $1,000.

Guitar George

Boy, this looks nice. Footswitchable effects loop?! Thanks! I'll look into this as well.

• Members

if you want clean headroom, why exactly do you want an EL84 amp?

Fair enough. I am running a two amp setup, but want to blend two amps of different tube types together. I know that for pristine clean tones, that el84 amps are not ideal, but there has to be a few out there that will do the job.

• Members

Is anybody familiar with the Budda Superdrive 30 1x12? How is the clean headroom on that amp?

I had the 18 watt version for a brief while. I sold it because it was, if anything, too smooth & clean for me ... However, the clean channel did start to growl a bit when the master volume CRANKED. Still, for the most part I thought it stayed too clean, for my tastes, unless the amp was just wide open. I'd assume that the 30 watter would stay cleaner at louder volumes than that.

• Members

I had the 18 watt version for a brief while. I sold it because it was, if anything, too smooth & clean for me ... However, the clean channel did start to growl a bit when the master volume CRANKED. Still, for the most part I thought it stayed too clean, for my tastes, unless the amp was just wide open. I'd assume that the 30 watter would stay cleaner at louder volumes than that.

How did it take pedals? How was the dirt channel?

Archived