Why own one Mark IV when you can own two ?

Demonofthefall

• Members

Hey folks,

So I have a Mark IV medium head.

I dig it.

I could possibly get another Mark IV or a Mark III.

Sounds interesting.

I think a few people here have 2 Marks in their rig.

So please school me on amp slaving and this A/B thing ...

How it works, How to use it, what are the advantages, etc.

Thanks.

• Members
The manual is online at mesa boogie's website. They have a section for slaving. It's kinda tricky from what I remember. Are you thinking about slaving one MKIV into another? What are the advantages of doing that? (I don't know anything about slaving).

Read the manual? :idea:

• Members

The manual is online at mesa boogie's website. They have a section for slaving. It's kinda tricky from what I remember. Are you thinking about slaving one MKIV into another? What are the advantages of doing that? (I don't know anything about slaving).

I'm basically wondering if I could get a major tone improvement by using 2 at the same time.

I don't even know what slaving means ...

I'm just n00bly thinking outloud here but I guess there are ways to split the signal in 2 and send one half to MkIV 1 and the other to MkIV 2 ... I guess there might also be ways to use MkIV1's preamp in MkIV2's FX loop.

I don't know if one of these two alternatives is called slaving ... I don't even know if they make any sense ...

I'm just wondering how to use 2 amps at the same time and if there are significant advantages, tonewise. I'm not after additional versatility.

I'll have a look at the MkIV's user manual.

Thanks.

• Members

I'm basically wondering if I could get a major tone improvement by using 2 at the same time.

I don't even know what slaving means ...

I'm just n00bly thinking outloud here but I guess there are ways to split the signal in 2 and send one half to MkIV 1 and the other to MkIV 2 ... I guess there might also be ways to use MkIV1's preamp in MkIV2's FX loop.

I don't know if one of these two alternatives is called slaving ... I don't even know if they make any sense ...

I'm just wondering how to use 2 amps at the same time and if there are significant advantages, tonewise. I'm not after additional versatility.

I'll have a look at the MkIV's user manual.

Thanks.

Sounds like you just want to run both at the same time. I believe whirlwind makes a decent unit for that, though I have no experience using two amps. I hear it's a headache for live work but the sound is awesome.

What kind of music do you play? Two mark IV's would be deafening...and totally awesome!

• Members

You could get some awesome tone using more than one Mark IV, but I'm fairly sure that slaving with two of the same amp would be pointless.

What you should do is get an A/B/Y box to split your signal and then use both at the same time, with different settings and different cabs (or a stereo cab). It won't be much louder (you'd need 10 Mark IVs to double your volume) but you can get some massive tone with a stereo rig.

• Members

What kind of music do you play? Two mark IV's would be deafening...and totally awesome!

I'm in a cover band.

We do pretty much everything in metal : traditional heavy, power, prog, melodeath ... We avoid "tr00 kvlt black", extreme brutal and the core stuff ... but we're pretty much into the rest.

Come to think of it, wouldn't a stereo rig be a bit pointless if there's another guitarist in the band ?

• Members

You could get some awesome tone using more than one Mark IV, but I'm fairly sure that slaving with two of the same amp would be pointless.

What you should do is get an A/B/Y box to split your signal and then use both at the same time, with different settings and different cabs (or a stereo cab). It won't be much louder (you'd need 10 Mark IVs to double your volume) but you can get some massive tone with a stereo rig.

So this A/B/Y thing is what I was looking for.

I'll do some more research on it.

Thanks.

Archived