Is the Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP combo really that bad?

johnnyl80

• Members

I've read mixed (mostly negative) reviews/opinions on these amps 'round the net...

I'm asking because there's a shop blowing these out at about 40-50% the original retail price locally and I wonder if at that price they still aren't worth it - I basicly wonder how much the "for the money" factor affected those opinions...

... After all they're all tube, and they've got 2 channels + boost + 2 master volumes, 2 Celestion Vintage 30s, DSP effects, etc... :blah:

• Members

I've read mixed (mostly negative) reviews/opinions on these amps 'round the net...

I'm asking because there's a shop blowing these out at about 40-50% the original retail price locally and I wonder if at that price they still aren't worth it - I basicly wonder how much the "for the money" factor affected those opinions...

... After all they're all tube, and they've got 2 channels + boost + 2 master volumes, 2 Celestion Vintage 30s, DSP effects, etc...
:blah:

to be honest dude, i don't know why these things get a bad name around here. I have the 40 watt combo and tough its not terribly loud it has some nice sounds. Its a great practice amp as it sounds really good at the lowest volumes, more gain then you'd want for anything i can think of. The only negative is its soooo bass heavy, i normally crank up the treble and mids and turn the bass almost all the way down. Other than that, try one out and if you like it, buy it.

• 13 years later...
  • Members

I bought the Ashdown 60 Dps several years ago,and the Hype on the amp was truly Over Rated! Mine was in the shop 3 times because it just quit operating..it had too much bass and I was never able to get really cleans out of the amp..it quit in the middle of a gig...and that was the End! Save Your Money and buy something with a good track record...and Pass on Ashdown Products!

• Members
21 hours ago, Deadhead David said:

I bought the Ashdown 60 Dps several years ago,and the Hype on the amp was truly Over Rated! Mine was in the shop 3 times because it just quit operating..it had too much bass and I was never able to get really cleans out of the amp..it quit in the middle of a gig...and that was the End! Save Your Money and buy something with a good track record...and Pass on Ashdown Products!

Pretty old thread n Ashdown. I haz a 22 year old ABM 500 4x10 combo bass amp  made in the UK. Zero issues. Mine was made  when Ashdown was first getting started and made everything in the UK.

Not only is the track record important, but you kind of get what you pay for.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

These amplifiers have a safety resistor that turns off when the amplifier is connected to a bad electrical network or with voltage spikes. This is so to protect the valves, (the resistance only costs $0.05) so it is very likely that the failures that others say are just that. I have the 60 DSP head and no failure since 2007.