Does it sound outlandish to want to boost my Quickrod???

Meatbeard

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i meatbeard, i know what you mean. the QR is super tight. i found clean boosting my old QR with an xotic bb preamp pedal gave it more of a smoother feel. the xotic is nice b/c it's basically transparent and doesn't add more mids to an already mid-rich amp.

what tubes are in your QR by the way?

• Members

i meatbeard, i know what you mean. the QR is super tight. i found clean boosting my old QR with an xotic bb preamp pedal gave it more of a smoother feel. the xotic is nice b/c it's basically transparent and doesn't add more mids to an already mid-rich amp.

what tubes are in your QR by the way?

Ill look into it. I believe my QR came with KT77's.

• Members

use an EQ in the loop or get a clean boost. I wouldn't use a tubescreamer with that type of amp. they work better with bass heavy amps.

Help me out here ha. Im pretty much a noob when it comes to pedals. Im looking to smooth out the sound and give it more of a fluid, saturated feel. What kind of eq would work well???

• Members

Ill look into it. I believe my QR came with KT77's.

ding ding ding. in my opinion, the kt77s can make the QR feel overly stiff. try popping some EL34s in there and it'll loosen up a little bit.

also, im curious do you know what version you got (old or new clean channel)?

• Members

ding ding ding. in my opinion, the kt77s can make the QR feel overly stiff. try popping some EL34s in there and it'll loosen up a little bit.

also, im curious do you know what version you got (old or new clean channel)?

I have the older clean channel. Im interested to know, what are the best/recommended el34's??

• Members

I have the older clean channel. Im interested to know, what are the best/recommended el34's??

What kind of music do you play?

I've tried both Mullard and SED Winged C EL34s. Both are good but are a bit different. SEDs are a bit more compressed and have a tighter low end. Mullards have that classic EL34 breakup, good hefty low end, but isn't as tight as the SEDs. A bit more open sounding. I find the SEDs to be somewhere b/t the Mullards and KT77s.

• Members

What kind of music do you play?

I've tried both Mullard and SED Winged C EL34s. Both are good but are a bit different. SEDs are a bit more compressed and have a tighter low end. Mullards have that classic EL34 breakup, good hefty low end, but isn't as tight as the SEDs. A bit more open sounding. I find the SEDs to be somewhere b/t the Mullards and KT77s.

I play foo fighters/jimmyeatworld style rock. Im thinking that the Mullards sound like what I need.

• Members

Shredhead is right, 34's should be closer to what you're looking for.

really need to have a Biasrite for that amp, unless you're on real good terms with a tech?

seems Scott sends them out biased fairly cold, so just heating up the 77's will help.

i found the QR to be pretty particular about OD pedals, so i'd say trust Shreadhead or ask over at the Splawn forums which ones are good.

mine didn't get along very good with my Keeley Tubescreamer, and also not very well with my MXR 10-band? did kindda like my MXR Distortion+?

• Members

True, but, with my little experiance with a tubescreamer.... It makes playing leads a tad more fluid and adds saturation.

sure it adds saturation for leads

but he is talking about making the tight bass on his amp looser

a boost is going to point you in the opposite direction of that

slapping some el34s in there is going to be much more effective

edit: im dumb and didnt realize that you were the op, sorry

• Members

Shredhead is right, 34's should be closer to what you're looking for.

really need to have a Biasrite for that amp, unless you're on real good terms with a tech?

seems Scott sends them out biased fairly cold, so just heating up the 77's will help.

i found the QR to be pretty particular about OD pedals, so i'd say trust Shreadhead or ask over at the Splawn forums which ones are good.

mine didn't get along very good with my Keeley Tubescreamer, and also not very well with my MXR 10-band? did kindda like my MXR Distortion+?

I dont know what a biasrite is. Im still interested in learning more about this eq pedal in the loop thing.

• Members

yea, swap out the KT77's for EL34's...the Mullards.

This is how much of a noob I am. I have literally never kept an amp long enough to change the tubes ha ha. I have been playing tube amps for 2 years now.... thats really sad. But, I am happy that I have found something that I think I could REALLLY like. I dont even know how much a retube would cost me>>????

• Members

I dont know what a biasrite is. Im still interested in learning more about this eq pedal in the loop thing.

Biasrite is doohicky that will let you bias your own amp when doing powertube changes. TED WEBER sells them, they're around a $100 or so?

my amp new with 77's was super tight and cold, just adjusting bias really changed how it played.

don't remember if i tried my EQ in the loop or not? seems like surely i would have, but can't say for certain. just know, i've got it in my head that i don't think it responded too well to the EQ?

EDIT; i'd say the Biasrite would defenantly be a better investment than an EQ pedal!

• Members

I boosted the QR I had all the time....it sounded killer...channel 2 half gain..pedal half gain..

HA HA this thread is hilarious. There is only has one common denominator... change the tubes to el34's ha. Everything else is so conflicting ha. But, regardless, keep the ideas coming. I appreciate it. Sounds like I should try a number of things.

• Members

use an EQ in the loop or get a clean boost. I wouldn't use a tubescreamer with that type of amp. they work better with bass heavy amps.

Not that I dont value your opinion, but, doesnt Killswitch Engage boost their Roadster's with Maxon 808's??? Their live tone is RIDICULOUS.

• Members

I use a bad monkey for mine. works great at low volumes. jammin with a band, no boost needed. Gear 3, od 2 with gain at noon being pushed by a Blackout loaded Dean Vendetta has all the gain ill ever need.

I bought a voice recorder the other day to record our practices. Sound comes out of the pa so i just put the recorder on top of my amp and it sounds great. Stupid thing is, the headphone out on the darn thing is a mini plug so i need an adapter to record into my pc. My QR just loves Drop C tuning too.

• Members

I use a bad monkey for mine. works great at low volumes. jammin with a band, no boost needed. Gear 3, od 2 with gain at noon being pushed by a Blackout loaded Dean Vendetta has all the gain ill ever need.

I bought a voice recorder the other day to record our practices. Sound comes out of the pa so i just put the recorder on top of my amp and it sounds great. Stupid thing is, the headphone out on the darn thing is a mini plug so i need an adapter to record into my pc. My QR just loves Drop C tuning too.

Well, It sounds like I definately need 2 things. I have been wanting to get either a Seymour Duncan JB put in the bridge for a while now, so, that will improve the tone. It also sounds like I need to put EL34's in to obtain what Im going for.

Archived