Question About Cabs

amaleelake

• Members

Hey guys, I ususally post at the effects forum but I was wondering if you could help me out.

So lets say that I buy a Hiwatt head, or a Marshall head, or any high quality brand head. That's great, having a good head is important. But does it really matter whether I buy the matching 2x12 or 4x12 cab to go with it? Or could I just buy any old cabinet and install really good speakers?

Is there really any benefit to buying "name brand" cabinets?

Thanks in advance....

• Members

Wow, thanks guys - great info.

So what it seems like is, although amp companies try to match the construction of their cab with the particular type of sound that their head produces, as long as I get a good quality box that can handle the amount of pwoer that my head will be pushing through it I can install speakers of my choice and save a good bit of money.

Do you have any suggestions for companies that build quality cabs for less than a company like Marshall or Hiwatt would?

Thanks

• Members
Avatar... definitely, the quality of their (vintage or contemporary) cabs matches most all other brands, and they use better or the same speakers as everybody else... but you get your choice of what you want.

www.avatarspeakers.com

:eek: Those are killer prices AND they have a huge selection of speakers to choose from.

I have heard that if I want a lot of head room in an amp, and to be able to get really clean cleans (no breakup) at very high volumes that I should go with Hiwatt. I am assuming that this has something to do with the speakers that they use. So which speakers do you think would be best to pair with a Hiwatt head for what I want to achieve?

I don't live in an area where I can try this kind of gear out so I really appreciate the help :thu:

• Members

Some speakers are voiced for certain heads. But most (almost all) of the time you don't have to get the same brand of cab as the head.

sorry to hijack, but are the vintage 30s in your marshall cab newer or older? i'm going to be getting a 2x12 with vintage 30s from avatar for my VK head but ive heard the newer ones are kind of "ice picky"

• Members

I like the look of Marshall Cabs and Orange Cabs.... So I am always on the hunt for a good looking used cab... As soon as I get one I open it up and usualy remove the speakers and put in what ever matching set I want to use.....

I have a couple lower watt class A heads under 20 watts, So I use cabs with Celestion Blues and a Matching G12H (both are rated at 25watt 100dbs) in 2x12 configs and 8ohm duels out of the head to the cabs...... unbelivable tone from these....

I'm guessing you Hiwatt Head will be a High Watter so you may want to check out some Golds or Greenback or 30's ...... dont be afraid to mix them up just make sure that the Signal to Noise Ratio is the same or close to the speakers you use...

Open closed cab is personal preferance

Some people claim materials used and size is important..... I'd agure against that... these speakers are achieving distortion not high fidelity.... as long as some reasonableness to the cab is followed..... Birch.. plywood ... etc nicely constructed..... they should be fine

• Members
I have a hiwatt head, but am using a hiwatt cab... I hear the new hiwatt cabs come with g12t75s... but if I picked from their speakers I would go with 2 v30's and 2 g12h30's, best all around tone imo. Unless you wanna find some old Fane's for some real Hiwatt tone
:thu:

Great help, thanks guys :thu: I will try to check out all of these speaker combonations when I go out testing amps.

Mistersuperfly, seeing as how you own a Hiwatt head, would you say that it is true that you are able to achieve a really clean tone at very high volumes?

• Members
:eek:
Those are killer prices AND they have a huge selection of speakers to choose from.

I have heard that if I want a lot of head room in an amp, and to be able to get really clean cleans (no breakup) at very high volumes that I should go with Hiwatt. I am assuming that this has something to do with the speakers that they use. So which speakers do you think would be best to pair with a Hiwatt head for what I want to achieve?

I don't live in an area where I can try this kind of gear out so I really appreciate the help
:thu:

headroom usually has more to do with the amp (usually higher wattage=more headroom), not the cab, although the cab CAN help sometimes

if you dont want any breakup with your speakers, check out celestion cl80s

• Members
headroom usually has more to do with the amp (usually higher wattage=more headroom), not the cab, although the cab CAN help sometimes

if you dont want any breakup with your speakers, check out celestion cl80s

Yes, that is exactly what I want (no breakup). I will check them out - thanks!

Man, this forum rocks, you guys are super helpful :)

• Members

If you want clarity, try one of the front-mount cabs wiht SUPER-stiff rear panels:

VHT Fat Bottom
Diezel FM
Framus Cobra
etc.

These cabs are designed to reduce cabinet resonance in order to utilize higher levels of gain and bass in your preamp.

also, the Emeinence VHT P50E sounds like a speaker you might like also.

• Members

If you want clarity, try one of the front-mount cabs wiht SUPER-stiff rear panels:

VHT Fat Bottom

Diezel FM

Framus Cobra

etc.

These cabs are designed to reduce cabinet resonance in order to utilize higher levels of gain and bass in your preamp.

also, the Emeinence VHT P50E sounds like a speaker you might like also.

This sounds interesting. I use a lot of really low end/frequency sounds in my music (but clean, not distorted) and I always have trouble with my amp rumbling too much and getting all muddy. These cabs would help with that?

Archived