For those of you who played a reissue plexi AND an older plexi

Boris the Blade

• Members

I can tell you right now that Marshalls HW and Metropolis Plexi build are pretty much, spot on. If you want to save money you could order a Ceriatone for under a grand and experiment with tubes, caps etc. There are many other options, good luck!

• Members

opinions on the reissue vs older plexi?

Do they sound the same?

We had a RI Super Lead Plexi and my 69 Super Bass Plexi side by side one night at rehearsal.

Close enough to fool 99.99% of the crowd there. This was the first run of RIs before they started adding that retarded fx loop. I have no idea if the loop changes the tone, it shouldn't, but damn, that's just blasphemy in my book.

• Members
We had a RI Super Lead Plexi and my 69 Super Bass Plexi side by side one night at rehearsal.

Close enough to fool 99.99% of the crowd there. This was the first run of RIs before they started adding that retarded fx loop. I have no idea if the loop changes the tone, it shouldn't, but damn, that's just blasphemy in my book.

Mine didnt have the loop and it sounded like ass. Nowhere near as good as my Superbass. In fact it was a lot diffferent sounding than my Superbas....

Inconsistant Marshalls FTL. :lol:

• Members
Different circuit in the preamp dude. Not that much different, but different enough. That is why I like the SBs better.

-WOT

I know its different... But my Reissue didnt even sound like any of the Superleads Ive owned or played. In fact, that amp just sucked balls and I will never recommend a Plexi Reissue to anyone after that experience. Even if they get their {censored} right, its not worth it when you can buy a clone for almost half the price. :idk:

• Members
Mine didnt have the loop and it sounded like ass. Nowhere near as good as my Superbass. In fact it was a lot diffferent sounding than my Superbas....

Inconsistant Marshalls FTL.
:lol:

Yup, inconsistant seems to be the watchword. This one RI we played was a particularly nice example. It was just a bit more top end-y than my Super Bass at the exact same tone settings but you kind of expect that it should be.

I ran into the same thing with the Fender RI Tweed Twin. We had one at an amp shootout along with some original high powered Tweed and Blackface Fenders. The RI sounded fine/ok until we fired up the old amps. Suddenly by comparison it was dimentionless and flat.

I got into a long discussion/argument at the gear page over this with a guy who regards his own opinion as fact. He played a nice example of a Tweed Twin which he loved as much as his Holy Grail Bruno amps. He refused to believe that I heard a {censored}ty Tweed Twin RI.

• Members

But my Reissue didnt even sound like any of the Superleads Ive owned or played. In fact, that amp just sucked balls and I will never recommend a Plexi Reissue to anyone after that experience. Even if they get their {censored} right, its not worth it when you can buy a clone for almost half the price.

I hear what you are saying. But, I'm thinking that there was a problem with it.

I'll probably get the Superlead 100 and I will mod it myself.

Sounds good. I am in SA if you get stuck on the mods.

- WOT

• Members

The re-issue and clone plexis sound VERY LITTLE like the originals. The original iron has a lot do with the tone...as well as original parts. Sure some people get great tone out of new clones, but it if far from original plexi!!

I beg to differ somewhat.

I've A/B'd a JTM 45 RI vs an original, a 50 watt Plexi vs an original, and a 100 watt Super Lead vs an original. Well, a Super Bass but you get the drift.

The 100 watt amps were very close. I was VERY pleasantly surprised.

The JTM 45's and 50 watt Plexis weren't close at all. Mind you the two originals (they weren't mine) in this case were a couple of those "magic" Marshalls that you hear about.

The RI JTM 45 was mine. After it got it's ass kicked all over the room in the comparison I sold it the next week and pestered the owner of the original JTM 45 and kept upping my offer until he finally relented.

• Members

I don't know about this quality control issue with the HW's but I heard the Metro plexi at the LA Amp Show and it was nearly identical in the cleans as any vintage Marshall I've played or owned. A kit build can be a risk but that doesn't mean it can't be ironed out(pardon the pun) or dialed in.

Archived