Help teh nOOB...Cubase SE3 or...

zeusecho

• Members

Cubase SE3 or Sonar Home Studio 6 XL? Both are about $150.

I plan to use a SM57 > M-Audio Fast Track USB.

What are the pro / cons of either software / hardware.

I'm not looking for professional results (just a hobby) but I would like to options that can I grow into rather then growing out of within a year.

I know this is a recording question but I trust the guys on the maps forum most. :poke:

Thoughts...

:wave:

• Members

Cubase came with my USB mixer. Honestly I installed it and didn't use it. It didn't like some setting on my computer, and I couldn't get it to record decent levels (everything was barely audible).

I use an old version of Cakewalk Guitar Tracks because I'm familiar with it...

If I were you, I'd look at the features of each and compare them. Make sure you can play with the volume graphs and pans on either. That's stuff that comes in handy later.

• Members

I used to write in Cakewalk, before it became Sonar. I still miss the way it handled MIDI stuff, but for audio recording, it sucked horrendously.

I'd personally pick Cubase out of all programs for Windows out there today. Besides, it's pretty famous for its user friendliness and well designed interface. :thu:

• Members
Cubase came with my USB mixer. Honestly I installed it and didn't use it. It didn't like some setting on my computer, and I couldn't get it to record decent levels (everything was barely audible).

I use an old version of Cakewalk Guitar Tracks because I'm familiar with it...

If I were you, I'd look at the features of each and compare them. Make sure you can play with the volume graphs and pans on either. That's stuff that comes in handy later.

Ouch... I'd check the driver settings. You've probably chosen the wrong one, it's supposed to be something like ASIO

This audio stuff is hardly plug and play though. Even with the gentle learning curve of Cubase, you still have to put in some time before you start getting things done...

That or buy a Mac and use Garageband :lol: (It's a much, much better program than most give it credit for BTW.)

• Members
Ouch... I'd check the driver settings. You've probably chosen the wrong one, it's supposed to be something like ASIO

This audio stuff is hardly plug and play though. Even with the gentle learning curve of Cubase, you still have to put in some time before you start getting things done...

That or buy a Mac and use Garageband
:lol:
(It's a much, much better program than most give it credit for BTW.)

Heh... hence why I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks that I bought 7 years ago... :)

Good point though, there is a fairly steep learning curve on all recording S/W.

• Members

Sonar, I tried Se3 and did not like it as much. Preference maybe, but the midi options, plugins for all these programs work similar. You have to get used to using them. Start with a few tracks and work your way up. Lot of trial and error. Sort of how photoshop was for me too. Started with a couple layers before I could get crazy with compilations.

• Members

I use cubase sx3 with the fast track pro (and have the sm57 just haven't used it yet!)

its a great setup ...see if you can get the ASK tutorial videos on cubase as it makes it alot easier to learn...I got the cubase shortcut stickers to for the keyboard.....great stuff!!!

I had some problems with that setup on my new pc.....I highly recomend uninstalling the inbuilt soundcard ...if you have any dramas let me know as there was a thread I found on the net that went right into the fast track/cubase setup:thu:

Archived