Petrucci's pick ups in..............................

TOStudent

• Members

Had a Steve's Special in a Charvel Model 5 (maple neck thru/poplar wings) and while its not a bad PuP...it sounds 2-d. Not very organic or angry. A little sterile IMHO...

+1 I used a Steve's Special for about a year. There were much better pickups out there and now that I think about it, it was not a pickup I would put in my top 10 even. It was very hollow sounding... 2-d is a very good way to describe it. Not very much life to it.

• Members

Had a Steve's Special in a Charvel Model 5 (maple neck thru/poplar wings) and while its not a bad PuP...it sounds 2-d. Not very organic or angry. A little sterile IMHO...

I also bought Petrucci's set for my 7 string, since I love his tone and thought I couldn't go wrong.

I did get his tone alright, but then immediately started hearing all that sucked about these pickups in DT recordings also. :lol:

I would describe the D-Sonic it as glassy. I constantly had an urge to dig in when I played through it, and it still wouldn't get angry. Almost like an EMG without any grit and compression at all. It had this annoying rubbery quality. I think Petrucci's secret is that he uses a massive amount of gain with these pickups, and gets none of the distortion from the pickups themselves.

The Air Norton on the other hand, is a good pickup. Nice, smooth lead tone, and very usable cleans. Still not my thing though. I'm an EMG guy at heart and for me, the EMG-60 does that kind of thing 100x better than the Air Norton ever can.

My 2

• Members

I have a Steve's Special in my PGM90th... it was EXTREMELY bright, but when I flipped the pickup around, it came alive and I like it a lot now. So, the moral of the story is if you have an SS, make sure you install it so that the leads are going to the left and around (or underneathe) the pickup to the electronics cavity.

Archived