How should I ship my amp head?

IcyScythe

• Members

Wrap the entire head, with everything intact (tubes, etc), with about 4 or 5 layers of bubble wrap. Find a big enough box and fill any empty space with foam peanuts. I know that some people recommend taking the tubes out, but I recently received an amp wrapped in the same method listed above and everything was in tip-top shape.

• Members

amp comes shipped from the mesa factory with the tubes installed so i see no reason to ship the seperatly.

if you have that webbing they use, it would help incase they break

you trust the mesa factory? :poke:

Shipping powertubes in amps Is bad BAAAAAAAD! You're supposed to treat powertubes like potassium triiodide --> i.e. treat them like they'll explode if you flick them. If they shake in the tube retainers, it can degrade or chip the glass (happened to me), and we all know how well shipping companies treat {censored}. Man that stuff gets processed by conveyor belts dropping it everywhere.

Also, without tube retainers, that {censored} can fall out, and broken glass isnt fun. And having the tubes attached to something? what if it falls? all the shock from the head will go into the tubes too... you can prevent that by wrapping them in bubble wrap and putting them inside of the headcase.

but if you mean shipped separately as in a different package... then yeah thats poitnless. Just pack powertubes into the headcase, wrapped in alot of foam and bubble wrap. I got mine individually wrapped in bubble wrap AND that foam wrappy stuff, which was in a ziplock to keep them together, which was further wrapped with bubble wrap: all inside of the headcase with the backpanel bolted on hehehhe.

• Members

Lol.. I first thought the title said: How should I {censored} my amp head
:D
But seriously.. you could double box it, with soft stuff in between the boxes etc.

I read it, but it looked like he left out the AMP part. So I was thinking he wanted to ship HIS head. In which case, you first must remove it from your neck. Then after you are dead, and bleeding all over the place, have your freaked out buddy pick up your mug and shove it in a box. Slap a packing label and then you can travel the world! :D

For shipping AMP heads, I use a box that will give me an extra 3 or 4 inches all around the amp when it's wrapped in bubblewrap. Then fill in the rest with some heavy duty packing peanuts or soft eggcrate foam. I might double-box it if the cardboard is a thin-ply material and be quite generous with some good, heavy-duty packing tape. Should be good to go!

• Members

you trust the mesa factory? :poke:

Shipping powertubes in amps Is bad BAAAAAAAD! You're supposed to treat powertubes like potassium triiodide --> i.e. treat them like they'll explode if you flick them. If they shake in the tube retainers, it can degrade or chip the glass (happened to me), and we all know how well shipping companies treat {censored}. Man that stuff gets processed by conveyor belts dropping it everywhere.

Also, without tube retainers, that {censored} can fall out, and broken glass isnt fun. And having the tubes attached to something? what if it falls? all the shock from the head will go into the tubes too... you can prevent that by wrapping them in bubble wrap and putting them inside of the headcase.

but if you mean shipped separately as in a different package... then yeah thats poitnless. Just pack powertubes into the headcase, wrapped in alot of foam and bubble wrap. I got mine individually wrapped in bubble wrap AND that foam wrappy stuff, which was in a ziplock to keep them together, which was further wrapped with bubble wrap: all inside of the headcase with the backpanel bolted on hehehhe.

headcase? As in... inside the head? How they gonna fit in there especially with that thing across the back?

Archived