Blue Album: Mark III & JCM 900?

dr_love6977

• Members

I dug out Weezer's blue album because I haven't heard it in a while. On the inside cover it looks like a Mark III and a JCM 900 SLX. Is that right? I was wondering which was which. On the album one amp has a really grindy tone, with a really loose low end. The other has really prominent mids with a tight gain. I have no experience with either amp, so I was wondering if anyone else knew which was which. From my experience having owned both a Boogie and a Marshall (neither of those models tho,) the loose bass on the one guitar is kinda reminiscent of Marshall's loose low end, but more gain than I'm accustomed to from a Marshall. And the low end seems too loose for a Boogie. Any ideas?

• Members

Neither of those amps. It's some mysterious Boogie amp, you actually see it in the booklet if I remember correctly. The SL-X was only used live in between the Blue album and Pinkerton. Pinkerton was recorded with a Marshall 6100, probably the green album too.

• Members

it was all mesa mark I on the blue album as far as i know (not mark III, I'll see if I can find the other pictures of his amp)

i know he had the sl-x during the recording though, so it might have been used, but that equipment history thing on the weezer website said it was just the mesa.

I have an old mark I, and have owned a sl-x...the sl-x wasn't really close to those tones to be honest.

• Members

Well also remember that original Mark I's weren't all alike

Either his was like a custom order or just a different one etc...I can sort of get close to the tone, but it's also how the album was recorded. I read the mics were placed very close to the speakers, and the boogie was set at low volume in order to stop some buzzing noise.

There was something about the mixer as well, but I can't remember.

The 8x10 cab was loaded with two sidewinders and two greenbacks btw...sidewinders are very different sounding speakers, they just have this midrange grind to them.

• Members

whoa what pictures

http://www.weezer.com/info/equipment/pics/equipment7.jpg

http://www.weezer.com/info/equipment/pics/equipment1.jpg

And the thing I don't get is why there's a knob where the reverb knob would usually go (no reverb tank visible) and two extra jacks where the heatsinks are in some early mesas.

edit:

fx mod?

oh, is that a factory mod then?

• Members

So that knob where the reverb control would usually be is probably the FX level control.

right, here's something I found from an old post

Blue album rhythm was primarily Les Paul DC w/ P90s into a Rare Mesa MK I (pre 'Boogie') amp. Amp @ low volume, mic'ed up close w/ condenser(s).

Some clean stuff was done on a Jaguar (e.g. Surfwax intro, I believe) and another Fender guitar.

I'm still a bit confused about the 'in the garage' tone, though - not sure how they would get that to be honest, unless he did use the SL-X.

Also, my '77 mark I (100% stock, 60/100 watt with no extra options/mods) can get somewhat close to the tones on that album, but is lower gain. I have a feeling the way they recorded it had something to do with it.

Archived