6V6 Comparisons

Standard8

• Members

I've been reading alot of reviews and ratings online and the only really helpful thing I can find is that the $250 paired RCAs are the best. But as far as all the other tubes, it seems like the writers are more interested in sounding cool and informed than actually helping someone like myself choose tubes for my amp. I risk the same thing here I know, but I thought I'd ask. This is my first real tube amp and I'm just learning about all this tube stuff.

It's a 30 Watt Laney PT30MV through the Crate 212E (2 -10's actually).

It's got EH GTs right now. There's good choppy sound right now with my strat and my epiphone hollow. With the preamp around 8 and the master around 6 to 7, I'm getting a "REbel Rebel" by Bowie sort of vintage british guitar sound, I assume that's what they call "hot" or "very warm?". Cool sound, but not really what I'm looking for. I want "singing leads" up high and tight low-mids for what I read before described as "stretching chords" on this forum. I don't want alot of "breakup" until I'm pushing over 8 on the preamp. (sovtech 12ax7s).

Maybe I'm just going about this the wrong way, and I should be looking at better pickups, or a good overdrive pedal setup like the tonebone. I'm not sure! I've been playing for 16 years but just now getting serious about things like "tone" and "sound".

What tubes do yall use and describe the sound it gives you. Let's actually talk about AMPS today. Whattayasay?

This is with no pedals, by the way, just plugged straight in.

• Members

I've used three types of 6V6s in my tweed deluxe clone:

EH - Aggressive with a harsh high end when overdriven. Grainy distortion.

Mazda NOS - Warmer with a slight treble roll-off. Smooth & compressed when pushed into overdrive.

JJ - Less of the typical 6v6 midrange & compression at high volumes. Sounded somewhat like 6L6s. Less bluesy, more chime. More clean headroom & less distortion when the amp is pushed.

Hope it helps.

• Members

I've been reading alot of reviews and ratings online and the only really helpful thing I can find is that the $250 paired RCAs are the best. But as far as all the other tubes, it seems like the writers are more interested in sounding cool and informed than actually helping someone like myself choose tubes for my amp. I risk the same thing here I know, but I thought I'd ask. This is my first real tube amp and I'm just learning about all this tube stuff.

It's a 30 Watt Laney PT30MV through the Crate 212E (2 -10's actually).

It's got EH GTs right now. There's good choppy sound right now with my strat and my epiphone hollow. With the preamp around 8 and the master around 6 to 7, I'm getting a "REbel Rebel" by Bowie sort of vintage british guitar sound, I assume that's what they call "hot" or "very warm?". Cool sound, but not really what I'm looking for. I want "singing leads" up high and tight low-mids for what I read before described as "stretching chords" on this forum. I don't want alot of "breakup" until I'm pushing over 8 on the preamp. (sovtech 12ax7s).

Maybe I'm just going about this the wrong way, and I should be looking at better pickups, or a good overdrive pedal setup like the tonebone. I'm not sure! I've been playing for 16 years but just now getting serious about things like "tone" and "sound".

What tubes do yall use and describe the sound it gives you. Let's actually talk about AMPS today. Whattayasay?

This is with no pedals, by the way, just plugged straight in.

I use to have one of those Laney's and you can throw EL-34's in them too w/o biasing.A reputable tech said this wouldn't be a prob but I should check if the OT was getting warm-it never did.Had it for a year w/o a prob ever.

• Members

IMPORTANT CORRECTION

My 12ax7s are Groove Tubes, not Sovteks as I previously stated.

I just figured that out when I took one out of the Laney and put it in my little combo crate td50c. Damn, this cheap POS crate combo absolutely sizzles hot licks.

• Members

If you're running your preamp at 8 those 12AX7s are adding a lot to your distortion. 12AX7s vary tremendously in how clean or distorted they get when pushed hard. I'm using the Tung-Sol remakes now in several amps and really like the sound (your results may vary).

For 6V6s the Tung-Sols are tops. I've tried Sovteks, JJs, NOS Sylvanias, etc. and have ended up with Tung-Sols in both my Marshall Studio 15 and my '62 Fender Deluxe, very smooth. :thu:

Archived