Need some Dimarzio opinions

TOStudent

• Members

The guitar is a Ibanez Proline-Basswood/Ebony fretboard. H-S-S

I would like it to have a lot of versatility. Thestockpick ups are BAD

So I am looking at going with the Dual Sound which is a Super Distortion with a push pull pot that I can switch from series to parallel or set the bridge up for a single coil split.

my only concern is that it may be way to HOT of a pick up to cover a lot of different styles of music.

Then I was going to run 2 Virtual Vintage Pro in the neck and middle. After looking I think I am going to keep it in the middle but get another single for the neck because these are really Hot singles as well.

Others I am considering are:

Tonezone

D-sonicwith the poles to the bridge supposed to be warmer sounding.

Mo Joe

Breed although I've heard it is bassy.

Any opinions please.

• Members

Tone Zone super bassy.

If you are worried about the SD being to hot to be versatile, that's a good use for the extra wiring of the Dual Sound. In parallel there will be less output yet still humbucking. You can do this with any of their pickups though. They must keep that whole Dual Sound package around for nostalgias sake because if you buy a switch or push/pull pot the SD is the exact same thing.

• Members

Consider the Dimarzio Area 59 and 61 for noiseless singles. They sound good and are completely noise free. I have a set of Area Ts in a Tele and I have no complaints at all. Not quite as lively as a traditional single coil pup but they are great for playing live without the single coil buzz.

• Members

After much selection and playing around with my Korina V (a bright guitar), i had put a gibson 500T and it was too much thin treble for THIS guitar, so i ended up putting a dimarzio Joe in the neck and a breed in the bridge, i like a non shrill sound though, i find it easier to always increase treble and presence, but when a guitar has too much, you can deaden the sound if you turn it way down on the amp. I wired mine, to have a push pull for both pups, the breed/bridge split coil and the neck when in middle position out of phase with the breed in the bridge, alot of great useful sounds. I love the out of phase for some midrange type solo sound, similar to playing a half cocked wah. May help give you a nice tonal spectrum, i appreciate a guitar with many sounds, whether i use them all the time is another case he he.

• Members

The Breed is really bassy, not terrible but it didn't work for me. I really like the D-Sonic, but I use mine with the bar towards the bridge because I downtune. Still, it's a very cool pickup and worth checking out. A friend whose opinion I have lots of faith in loves the Norton, says it's the best all-around humbucker he's found, so that's probably worth checking out if versatility is a priority for you.

Archived