VHT poweramps: 2/50/2 vs 2/90/2?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I've heard that there isn't a whole lot of difference in volume between the 2/50/2 and the 2/90/2.... but apparently there is a difference in tone. What exactly is the difference? Is the 2/50/2 warmer sounding, because of lower headroom? Which is better for aggressive high gain stuff? Just wondering.... because I would kinda assume the 2/90/2 would be the way to go, but I think I remember seeing a few people say they prefer the 2/50/2.... so, I figured I'd make a thread to ask.

• Members

The 2/50/2 was the best poweramp I ever used in my rack days. I also used the 2/90/2 but I didn't like the tube type as much. EL34's and EL84's are my tube type preference.

Could you describe the difference? Did the kt88's/6550's in the 2/90/2 make it more tight/stiff sounding? I imagine it'd also have more headroom though.... which would be good for cleans as well...

• Members

I have owned both and prefer the 2/50/2...but would take either over any other tube power amp on the market.

My reason for liking the 2/50/2 better is that I like the little bit of character the el34's add. KT88's stay clean forever.

FWIW, I am not sure if you are asking this in relation to the Axe Fx, but if you are....I am actually selling my 2/50/2 and going with a SS Poweramp. I use the power amp sims on the Axe and want a clean power source. Hell, I may even end up with powered monitors if I can get out of my security blanket (amps and cabs:))

• Members

I have owned both and prefer the 2/50/2...but would take either over any other tube power amp on the market.

My reason for liking the 2/50/2 better is that I like the little bit of character the el34's add. KT88's stay clean forever.

FWIW, I am not sure if you are asking this in relation to the Axe Fx, but if you are....I am actually selling my 2/50/2 and going with a SS Poweramp. I use the power amp sims on the Axe and want a clean power source. Hell, I may even end up with powered monitors if I can get out of my security blanket (amps and cabs:))

Does the 2/50/2 still have plenty of clean headroom for loud cleans and tight high gain?

• Members

Does the 2/50/2 still have plenty of clean headroom for loud cleans and tight high gain?

Mine has KT-77's in there and has mucho headroom.

Even when it had EL-34's in there...this thing was so loud that I couldn't push it far enough to hear it break up!

Either is a great choice! :thu:

• Members

I had the 2/90/2 (kt88's)for years. I loved it in every way. I used the VHT GP-3. It was an incredible combination. I would say the choice might depend on what preamp your going to use. Both are excellent and built like tanks. They are the benchmark of what most other power amps are compaired to, so that in it self, says a lot.

• Members

Just a curious question here.... is it possible to use the preamp on a head into a separate poweramp? and if so, how exactly would you do that? would it be the FX loop from the head into the Input on the poweramp?

Pre-Amp out into your power amp of choice. Then just connect speakers to said power amp.

Also, Got a 2/90/2 here. Helaciously loud, but I bought it waiting for that infamous day that we show up at a club and their PA sized up to be used during the week on Bingo night and thats about it.

• Members

Just a curious question here.... is it possible to use the preamp on a head into a separate poweramp? and if so, how exactly would you do that? would it be the FX loop from the head into the Input on the poweramp?

What are you planning on using?

• Members

Buy Mctallica1's 2/50/2...i had the 2/50/2 when i had a rack setup..that poweramp is AWESOME...extremely loud if you want it to...extremelly quiet if you want it to.....plenty of headroom for clean stuff as well....if i ever went back to a rack setup i'd only search for a 2/50/2 ....it rocks!!!

Archived