Those little sweatband-looking things that go at the top of your guitar neck...

bob the dentist

• Members

It's not a criticism...it's a philosophy. IF we don't agree about it...it's okay, isn't it?

I'm a trumpet player, I know you can;t get that sound without the mute, although, we often TRIED to use our hands, just couldn;t cover the whole bell.

I'm gonna step back and say it's not a gimmick, okay?

But what I'll will call it is "an aid" to help you do something that CAN be done with your own flesh, if you use the proper technique. I tap all the time. It's not easy to mute everything properly...but it can be done, unlike the mute with the trumpet that CAN'T be done, unless you got a big fat giant {censored}ing fleshy hand.

Jeff Watson did it.

There...you set me straight. I'm willing to listen, see?

Do you use a pick?

...on the guitar, that is. Not the Trumpet.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not a criticism...it's a philosophy. IF we don't agree about it...it's okay, isn't it?

I'm a trumpet player, I know you can;t get that sound without the mute, although, we often TRIED to use our hands, just couldn;t cover the whole bell.

I'm gonna step back and say it's not a gimmick, okay?

But what I'll will call it is "an aid" to help you do something that CAN be done with your own flesh, if you use the proper technique. I tap all the time. It's not easy to mute everything properly...but it can be done, unlike the mute with the trumpet that CAN'T be done, unless you got a big fat giant {censored}ing fleshy hand.

Jeff Watson did it.

There...you set me straight. I'm willing to listen, see?

I think we've both benefitted from this discussion. I understand now why you had a problem with it in the first place. I feel certain that some of the techniques which I take advantage of, two-hand legato stuff, would make it very problematic to mute nearly as well as one of these allows. I don't think it's even conducive to sloppy technique, since legato relies very heavily on precision and finesse that comes out in the activity of the technique, not just in the background skills like muting correctly :) There's still a hell of a lot of work for your hands to do, even if you've freed one of them up by using a scrunchy.

Maybe Dunlop or Planetwaves needs to release an "official" mute-scrunchy so that it takes on a legitimate face?

:poke:

I'd probably buy one if they made a mute/capo which had a quick lever or something to change it from a mute to a capo, make it easy to do advanced legato stuff without having to use multiple tools... Hey, why am I posting this, I ought to make it and get rich. YOU DIDN'T HEAR THIS.

• Members

I wasn't going to look, but I did.

It's there, right over the nut of the guitar. I'll admit it dosn't look like it's engaged for that brief clip. But I guess EVH didn't use one for the original.

The hair band (aka string dampener) moves so when you need it it's in on the neck, when you don;t need it you move it over or behind the nut.

EVH didn't need one because he's a guitar god! :poke:

• Members

I hadn't done that but am about to try it in addition to stuffing cotton between the tremolo springs and body to quiet them the same way when doing heavy palm mutes, etc...

For my FR-equipped guitar, I cut up an old washrag & put a piece over the springs. Works perfectly. That guitar would ring like mad on heavy stop/start riffs, now it's quiet.

• Members

Do you use a pick?

...on the guitar, that is. Not the Trumpet.

Oh...very clever!

Um...I DO use a pick. I also use my fingers.

The reason I use a pick is because....as noted with the trumpet analogy...there are things I can do with a pick that I can't do with my fingers...these are physical attributes that are absolutely impossible to do otherwise. Over the course of time...MANY people have proven that you can do things with a pick that you can't do with your fingers. (and vice-versa!)

Over the course of time, people have proven that you absolutely CAN do wild and technical tapping without a device around the nut.

Next?

• Members

The hair band (aka string dampener) moves so when you need it it's in on the neck, when you don;t need it you move it over or behind the nut.

Yes.

I use hairbands.

Jennifer Batten and others use mechanical devices that attach to the head and can be lowered onto the strings to dampen them of raised so the open strings ring. You can just make it out in that clip.

Archived