Need some GH50L advice

Knottyhed

• Members

Hi I want to use the amps footswitchable gain in a live environment - kind of like I would be able to with a 2 channel amp, but i'm finding the volume spike you get when you hit the footswitch makes it unusable.

I've noticed that the louder the amp goes the less noticable this spike seems to be, so I was wondering whether I could get a power-brake, crank the amp and then attenuate it to a reasonable overall volume? Or whether there's some sort of mod I could get done to the amp? Or do i need to just keep using a distortion pedal like I do now?

Anybody out there actually manage to switch between clean/gain in a live setting? If so how do you do it?

• Members

I run the amp with a medium amount of gain and roll the volume back for a "furry clean." If you need to switch between "clean" clean and high gain, the GH50L won't do it IMHO. I'd use a distortion pedal, run the gain at essentially zero and turn the master up, ignoring the switchable gain boost.

• Members

Wouldn't it be possible to use any pedal that has a volume / level knob and use that to decrease the signal. In that case you could run the gain and drive the way you want for your gain sounds and use the pedal to make it clean. :)

I've never tried it.. But I think it should be possible :p

• Members

I'd use a distortion pedal, run the gain at essentially zero and turn the master up, ignoring the switchable gain boost.

Yeh - that's the approach I'm taking now; sounds like the consensus is that the footswitch is rather redundant and the answer is to dial in my 'dirty tone' and reduce the input to get cleaner sounds. Cheers.

• Members

Yeh - that's the approach I'm taking now; sounds like the consensus is that the footswitch is rather redundant and the answer is to dial in my 'dirty tone' and reduce the input to get cleaner sounds. Cheers.

Sounds like a plan. FWIW, I love the boost if I'm going for that hot rodded marshall sound and need a lead boost. But with that setup, clean is out of the question.

• Members

AB box and one of those Boss/Fender modeling pedals? Guitar into AB, A to front of amp, B to pedal, pedal to return of loop(set to side chain/parallel). No effects though, bummer.

I bought a GT8 when I got my GH50L, and use the 4CM to get clean channels(as well as all my effects). The Laney's gain channel, with a boost, makes distortion pedals sound like toys IMO.

Archived