After you write songs.... then what?

poozmeister

• Members

HI,

I'm fairly new to the Harmony Central forums. I've been playing guitar many years, but only recently started getting serious about songwriting, and I'm happy to find this fourm.

After having some complete songs, what's next?

Copyright it? Copyright via just stating a copyright and date, or send in to .... where? And what would that cost?

Register with ASCAP or BMI? Unless you think the songs have a chance to be played on radio a lot, is there any value to this? e.g. if I write a song as a joke, but Madonna hears me at the open mic and thinks it's great and she records it and it is played on the radio every day until we're all sick of it... OK, not the most realistic example :p ... But in that rare case, I can see where having an ASCAP registration in advance would benefit me. Is that the rare exception? Is there any other benefit? Had this happened and I had not registered with ASCAP or BMI, then what? Have my lawyer talk to hers?

I hope these aren't too basic for y'all as I suspect they are things that have been addressed. Any links or suggestions of books, or any other advice are appreciated. Thank you!

Pat D.

• Members

I can tell you once your songs are recorded you already have a copyright.

If you want to register your songs to officially document yourself as their creator go to:

www.copyright.gov

This is the only way your claim of copyright

will hold up in court, if there is ever a dispute.

The so-called "poor man's" copyright- which consists of mailing a copy of your songs to yourself- won't carry any weight legally.

The officially recognized copyright- via the U.S.Copyright Office is recommended.

Hopefully someone will come along and tell you about ASCAP registration.

• Members

Originally posted by poozmeister

Thank you Fido! That's what I was looking for. One more question - do you copyright one song at a time, or a collection?

You can do either. To register your songs as a collection is, of course, cheaper. I think the form to use for a collection is Form PA...but I'm not sure.

Best of Luck to you. :)

• 8 months later...

Archived