Speaker suggestions needed! ;-D

wickedmonkey

• Members

OK so I know the tone in my head and i know it can be achieved. I'm almost there!

Gear:

50W Marshall Plexi

SG standard

4x12 Marshall cab...

I really don't use effects other than a lil reverb (just a little) wah wah and delay once in a while.

Ok SO the tone I'm trying to achieve is close to a Derek Trucks but maybe a LIL more edge. Nice warm velvety lows "brown tone" that push into that greezy glassy squeely goodness as I hit the upper register and do the fun finger work all the while remaining smooth.

My thoughts were a mix of scumback H55 and Weber silverbell... thinking warm fuzzy goodness with chime/sparkle clarity... I'm looking for the tone that IS ME :)

I really need some other thoughts though! OPINIONS are MOST welcome!

Thanks for your time Everybody!

~Nick was here~

• Members

Don't think I've ever heard Derek Trucks, but I think you may enjoy Celestion Greenbacks. They pair VERY well with Marshall amps... I've got the 1960AC (4x12 with Greenbacks) and a JMP and it's a match made in heaven (or Hell, depending on how you want to look at it).

• Members

Don't think I've ever heard Derek Trucks, but I think you may enjoy Celestion Greenbacks. They pair VERY well with Marshall amps... I've got the 1960AC (4x12 with Greenbacks) and a JMP and it's a match made in heaven (or Hell, depending on how you want to look at it).

actually, Derek uses some car speakers from Radio Shack HAHAHAHA!!! but yeah it's the warm velvet tone with glassy greasy highs I'm looking for...(you know, that whole "winding up" kind of sound) the dirtiest i'd possibly play is Like Angus Young grit...

• Members

By the way, My Marshall is the 1987xl... I'm thinking the green backs too, I was just not wanting tooo much crunch. but I can roll back on the Volume a bit on the guitar I guess... the EQ also comes into play...

If I go with greenbacks, don't I want the resonance freq. to be lower like 55Hz for a nicer bottom end? I'm just trying to learn as much as possible before i go and drop a load of money on speakers :thu:

any other combos that go well with those greenbacks to bring out a little sparkle maybe?

AGAIN! thanks for everyones input!!!

Archived