ENGL Powerball vs. Savage 120

Eschatologist

• Members

Do you play in a band?

I used to gig often for a few years, but I've been out of a band for a bit since work has been heavy. But I am moving soon, and want to get back in to jamming again...word on the street is that the Savage is superior for cutting in a band situation, correct?

Btw, noticed you're from ST. Paul...I'm from Thunder Bay, Ontario (few hours north just across the border). Are there any good places in the twincities area to test either amp?

• Members

...word on the street is that the Savage is superior for cutting in a band situation, correct?

Yes, undeniably. I don't have my powerball yet to have them at the same time, but to cut any more than a Savage through the right speakers, you would need to be using a wah pedal. Most people don't even run it in the super cutting mids-from-hell mode... yet they think it cuts. Pair it with some greenies and diamonds shatter.

Honestly, I haven't done the a/b thing, but I'm pretty damn sure my Savage can cut over my Splawn Competition pretty easily. Have you ever heard someone bitching about a Splawn not cutting?

• Members

I used to gig often for a few years, but I've been out of a band for a bit since work has been heavy. But I am moving soon, and want to get back in to jamming again...word on the street is that the Savage is superior for cutting in a band situation, correct?

Btw, noticed you're from ST. Paul...I'm from Thunder Bay, Ontario (few hours north just across the border). Are there any good places in the twincities area to test either amp?

hi, no engl dealers in the twin cities unfortunately..... At least not that I know of.

Yes, the savage will be better than the powerball for cutting, hell yes.

• Members

Discuss pros and cons of each.

I love ENGL tone, and at the moment I am leaning towards the PB. I am coming from a Dual Recto so I am used to an American tone, the PB is slightly cheaper, and all its features I have uses for, I really like the resonance dial. My style is black/death/extreme metal, I have a Vader 4x12 and an LTD M1000. What are some of the reasons/contrasts for getting a Savage? I would love to try em and A-B the two but there is nowhere anywhere near here to try em out. Thoughts?

I'd say that around here, the PB is used mostly by nu-metal teens, industrial metal and some melodic death-going-to-metalcore acts and anything that has to be loud and chugga-powerchord-kind-of-hard. A bit like triple rectifiers in America, I suppose. The Savage on the other hand is used more often by technical acts from the death/black/thrash sphere.

I think the Savage is more versatile and cuts better (brighter), but the PB can be br00tal for powerchords and single note riffs. Both amps can probably get a tone you like.

I know Rammstein used the PB a lot (which is industrial, hard-hitting but not very technical)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I haven't had my Powerball for long, but I actually found some pretty decent crunch tones out of channel 2 ...

I have never played a Savage, but the Powerball's channels 3 and 4 sound somewhat sterile to me, FWIW, although there is a ton of gain on tap.

Archived