Framus Cobra to Dragon Lead Mod done (w/ pics)

ericwylde

• Members

you can swap C8 (3,3u) on V2A for a 0.47 or 0.68u

you'll get a lot more aggressive and present upper mids

I'd also cut R4 (560k) out of the circuit (do not replace or jump it, just remove it) to keep it mid focused and a bit less bass heavy

reducing R10 (470k) to 100k will increase the gain a bit

if you want more bite from the crunch channel only, you can replace R6 (150k) with a jumper or wire, then replace R7 (82k) with the 150k resistor

I would not remove the bright cap

that will suck too much gain

to remove harshness, will can leak small capacitors to the ground

a 220p or 330p in parallel with R9 will help

you can also install a "fizzy cap" in the phase inverter (linking the plate pins with a small 2kv ceramic capacitor), as the Framus doesn't have one

regular values are around 47p to 100p, but higher values will more effective to remove fizz

220p will be fine

to make the power amp warmer, replace R90 (27k) with a 68k

Hello sir, is it possible to get the dragon's crunch channel = the cobra's crunch while maintaining the dragons lead channel. If that makes sense?

• Members

Hello sir, is it possible to get the dragon's crunch channel = the cobra's crunch while maintaining the dragons lead channel. If that makes sense?

you can tweak the eq section to get a similar voicing, but to get the exact same grain and aggression, you need to affect both channels

the Cobra has a lower cathode cap on v2a (1u, like a SLO or Recto), so it's a bit middier, less bass heavy and more gainy than the Dragons value

the mod I just posted would be an improvement for both amps

I wouldn't bother trying to clone each other like I did in the past, since differences are subtle

only thing I could notice was that the Dragon spec was darker and a lot bassier

• Members

you can tweak the eq section to get a similar voicing, but to get the exact same grain and aggression, you need to affect both channels

the Cobra has a lower cathode cap on v2a (1u, like a SLO or Recto), so it's a bit middier, less bass heavy and more gainy than the Dragons value

the mod I just posted would be an improvement for both amps

I wouldn't bother trying to clone each other like I did in the past, since differences are subtle

only thing I could notice was that the Dragon spec was darker and a lot bassier

Thank you. :)

• 2 years later...
  • Members

well.. after a lot of time waiting for the parts, i finally did the mod

actually, my bandmate Zambelli (
this guy
) did the hard work, as i'm bad at soldering and didn't want to take the risk of screwing my precious amp
:lol:

the mod consists in changing the tone stack of a distorted channel to the Dragon sound, as i explained here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868321

we modded the crunch to have more saturation too, by changing the attenuation resistors, but without turning it into a lead channel

so now i have the stock clean channel (which is a fender bassman clone, so i don't think it's possible to mod it to the vox ac30 based clean channel of the framus dragon), a cobra crunch channel with more saturation and a dragon lead channel

tonewise, the distorted channels don't sound so different, which is expected, as they have almost exactly the same circuit

it's all about their voicings

the dragon channel is a lot darker and has a ton of low mids, so the rhythms sound a bit too bassy compared to the cobra and the leads got a bit smoother

the cobra crunch channel now sustains better than before, and i think it's still better for metal rhythms

i couldn't play it louder than 1.5 yet (and that's hella loud for an apartment), so i couldn't have better impressions at the moment

thanks to everyone who helped, especially zamguitar, guitarman967 and erock503

now the big pics:

stock cobra lead channel

stocklead1.jpg

lead channel modded to dragon

moddedlead1.jpg

stock cobra crunch channel

stockcrunch1.jpg

cobra crunch channel modded for more saturation

moddedcrunch.jpg

:wave:

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!