on a fender amp, what's the difference between normal and vibrato channels?

bluesboy

• Members

Aside from the obvious difference that the vibrato channel has reverb and vibrato while the normal channel does not. I can hear a difference in tone with everything set the same, but i cant quite put my finger on it.

When played clean, on the vibrato channel, lets say i strike the little e string and let it ring, and then i slide up to the e note on the A string. the notes really seem to sustain, and i can really clearly hear those notes when i silde up. Its like the vibrato channel is more dynamic and sensitive, if this makes any sense.

When i use a pedal for OD, it seems to sound lighter than on the normal channel.

anybody care to edumacate me? or just chime in with your experiences?

• Members

The Vibrato channel has vibrato and reverb, and on paper that should be the only difference or at least that's what my amp tech has always said, but tube differences, etc can enter into the situation as well.

no, they definitely sound different to me... and i have similar tubes in both channels, althoug i realize they could still be slightly different.

Also, my amp was modded, so maybe something is different in mine that i dont realize

• Members

I believe the idea was that back in those days one channel could be used for guitar and the other for *gasp* vocals or another guitar. Things were a lot different back in the early mid 60s. I could be wrong though...

Also in my blackface fender pro (not a reissue the real deal) the two channels sound subtly different but there isn't a great deal of difference. Obviously I use the Vibrato channel.

Archived