Mark IV + VH100R

Demonofthefall

• Members

Hey there,

Just looking for some advices to get a tight and aggressive band sound.

I use a Mark IV through an Engl XXL Pro and the other guitar player has a VH100R through some Laney 4x12. Whatever EQ settings we use, it seems we simply cannot blend well ... and we're not into scooped mids ...

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that the Mark IV is overly compressed compared to the Laney. Does it make sense ?

Would it help to use a different cab with the Mark IV ? A Mesa traditional perhaps ?

Thx

• Members

try swapping cabs to see what happens? It's the cheaper alternative to forking out lots of money on a new cab.

Check out how you both have your amps dialled in. I don't do two guitar bands, so I've never ran into this problem, but, isn't one supposed to have a deeper sound and the other supposed to be a bit brighter?

• Members

I guess my concern was poorly worded ... Let me try this again ...

Is it feasible to get a killer band sound with two amps that are voiced rather differently (dry and compressed for the Mark IV, dark and open for the Laney) ?

If it's yeah then we'll keep tweaking the knobs and try swapping cabs, if it's nay then someone please trade your VHT-UL or your Mesa RK-II for my Invader ...

Thanks

• Members

Hey there,

Just looking for some advices to get a tight and aggressive band sound.

I use a Mark IV through an Engl XXL Pro and the other guitar player has a VH100R through some Laney 4x12. Whatever EQ settings we use, it seems we simply cannot blend well ... and we're not into scooped mids ...

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that the Mark IV is overly compressed compared to the Laney. Does it make sense ?

Would it help to use a different cab with the Mark IV ? A Mesa traditional perhaps ?

Thx

Laney's are voiced similar to marshalls? I've never heard one up close but I would think there would be a way to mix the two well. I have a Mark IV and my old guitarist had a DSL100 that worked well. Are you paying attention to what each amp is lacking? You could accentuate the mids on the laney while pulling more lower mids from the Mark IV. Just an idea.

jeid2000...I need to know where you are getting these avatars.:poke:

• Members

I think that if you mix anything but Marshall type amps with other Marshall type amps, all you are gonna hear is the Marshall type amp. I think Mesas are fine on their own or mixed with other amps but with a Laney? No way.

That's pretty much what I'm starting to think too ... I'll try the Mesa with the Engl Invader instead; perhaps I'll learn to love Engl ...

• Members

Yes, that's exactly how two guitar bands do it.

Can you name a few ?

I've seen Blind Guardian using a Powerball and a Recto and that sounded awesome. I've also seen Mesa's with other Mesa's but I don't think I ever saw one with a Laney or a Marshall ...

• Members

You could engage the Lead Fat & crank the midrange knob on the MarkIV while slightly scooping the 750Hz & 2.2kHz sliders. Meanwhile on the Laney use a very broad, wide midrangey sound more towards the upper mids, and lower bass.

• Members

You could engage the Lead Fat & crank the midrange knob on the MarkIV while slightly scooping the 750Hz & 2.2kHz sliders. Meanwhile on the Laney use a very broad, wide midrangey sound more towards the upper mids, and lower bass.

Thanks. I'll forward the idea to our soundman ... I don't play much with the knobs to be honest ...

If I remember correctly, the Mark IV is in pentode-simulclass mode, harmonics switch is at Mid gain, gain and presence knobs are pulled. Should I try something there as well ?

Archived