Stiletto opinions needed...

Pete

• Members

I'm looking for a new amp and the Mesa Stiletto caught my eye and would like some opinions on it. Right now I'm using a Carvin Legacy which I love but want a little more aggressive and brighter sound. I like marshall voiced amps (like the legacy) but also want a decent clean channel so marshalls are out of the question.

The type of music I play is mostly hard rock and 80's rock....ac/dc, rush, queensryche, some instrumental stuff ala vai, dokken riffs etc. How would the stiletto cover these tones? With the legacy I have to dime the presence and treble to get an edgy rythm tone so looking for something brighter, edgier and sort of marshall voiced.

Forgot to mention I've been looking at the stage II stilettos. Is there that much tonal difference between a deuce and ace? Most people mention the ace being overly bright and don't hear much of that with the deuce.

• Members

if you want bright than
stage II stiletto
is for you...go with stage 2 for sure though

How much brighter is the stiletto compared to older marshalls like a 79' master volume jmp? Now the 79' jmp is what I call bright.

• Members

Have you tried an EQ pedal in the loop of the Legacy? That is unless you are really looking to get away from it.

well I'd like a tad bit more gain than the Legacy so I can cover a bunch of tones....I guess just want to try something voiced a little different.

• Members

How much brighter is the stiletto compared to older marshalls like a 79' master volume jmp? Now the 79' jmp is what I call bright.

it was too bright for me...so i sold it...cant compare it to a jmp but compared to a jcm800....teh 800 is a little brighter

• Members

I didnt think it was nearly as bright, but I played the original Stilletto. Try out a Roadster. I prefered it to the Stilletto.

• Members

I have the stiletto deuce stage I. I use it for pretty much the same sounds that youre looking for. The only thing bad about stage I is fluid drive is nearly unusable. ch. 2 crunch is lacking too, but ch. 1 crunch is amazing so i could care less. cleans are great and so is tite gain. It is very bright, and does high gain very well. At about half the price of a stage II i think its a great value (got mine for less than 900 on ebay)

• Members

I did the exact opposite,although my stiletto was a stage1.It was to bright and grainy so I got a Legacy instead.I would like to have an Ace to run in stereo with it though,that would be badass

How does the Legacy stack up against the Stiletto for 80's type tones? There's only a couple gripes with the legacy....wish it had just a little more gain and most important, there seems to be this low end that can't be dialed out of the legacy. If you play any bar chords (passed the 5th fret) it just sort of gets muddy because of the low end....you can hear it on some of Vai's live stuff too.

I have the stiletto deuce stage I. I use it for pretty much the same sounds that youre looking for. The only thing bad about stage I is fluid drive is nearly unusable. ch. 2 crunch is lacking too, but ch. 1 crunch is amazing so i could care less. cleans are great and so is tite gain. It is very bright, and does high gain very well. At about half the price of a stage II i think its a great value (got mine for less than 900 on ebay)

Did you get to compare the stage I and II amps? The stage I's have been going for half price like you've said, but not sure how it stacks up to the 2nd version. There's not any stage I's in my area so there goes trying one out....and opinions seem to be 50/50 when comparing both amps.

• Members

I think it can get a very "Brown" sound going.I agree on the low end being a bit overwhelming,but a boost helps tighten/cut it.I keep the bass no more than 3 and the mids at 5-7 treble at 6.It would probably benefit from a smaller/tighter sounding cab to.I love my Legacy tone

Archived