Marshall JCM DSL 100 vs DSL 50???

kidder

• Members

I am wondering what the differences are (other than 50 watts) HA HA HA. I have heard that there is much more head room on the clean channel on the 100 version. However, the 50 will break up at lower volumes and get that crunch. I usually play at lower/medium volume. Will the 100 react the same way as the 50. Is the tone the same for both heads.I play mostly Metallica, OZZY. What model do you feel is the better of the two. Don't be afraid to elaborate on your thoughts. I need to know ASAP. Thanks.

• Members

Please guys I have to know today. I found the deal of a lifetime online and need to know the differences. I originally was in the market for a 50 watt head and this one comes with a 100 watt head. How will these two heads differ at low or mid volume. A good friend of mine has a JCM 2000 DSL 50 and when we jam the volume is usually on about 2-3 and it is plently loud. What would you anticipate the 100 watt vesion to be placed at for volume? BTW, I will be buying an attenuator at some point. THD or Marshall.

• Members

the will be almost no volume difference between the 100 and 50 watt model. i played a dsl50 at practice and it sounds fantastic when up against a loud drummer. i think the 50 watt power section gets "cooking" more easily than the 100 watt. seriously, really really gorgeous lead sounds. if clean headroom is an issue you may want to go for the 100 watt but if you're playing live you may want your cleans to be a little dirty anyway, some do.

if you're considering an attenuator the 50 watt is still the best choice because the less attenuation you use, the better your tone will be. so it will take less attention to get 50 watts to sound quiet than 100 watts to sound quiet, so better tone.

50! 50! 50!

and stay away from TSL, they suck ass.

• Members

I have both and tend to prefer the 50 but more because it seems slightly more compressed where the 100 has a bit more umph feel. My buddy feels the other way and likes his 100 better than my 50. We both feel that neither seem to have enough clean volume before breaking up but it is still usable. With various guitar, speaker, and tube combinations you may not even be able to tell the difference and might lean one towards the other.

• Members

Not much difference between them volume wise.

The 50 will break up sooner

The 100 has more clean headroom and more low end. The DSL is a fairly bright amp anyway so its handy to have the little bit extra low end.

Its 50/50 really. Wont make much a difference which way you decide to go

• Members

I have to go with the DSL 100 for the price. It is included in a package that is unbelievable. I will reveal the package later but I think that passing on the deal because I want to go with a 50 head rather than a 100 head is just not smart IMO. Or is it???

• Members

If you found a great deal on a 100 watter jump on it and don't look back. I've had both (currently have a modded DSL100 so I can't make a direct comparison between that and the stock DSL50 I had) and they are solid amps. Certainly don't pay more for a 50 watter if that's what you're saying you would have to do.

• Members

I just picked up a new rig today. I bought a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 with a travel case and 1960A cab that are about 9.5/10 condition for $1062 shipped. I found them on craigslist and the seller wanted to put them on ebay for security reasons. I can't wait to get them.

• Members

I just picked up a new rig today. I bought a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 with a travel case and 1960A cab that are about 9.5/10 condition for $1062 shipped. I found them on craigslist and the seller wanted to put them on ebay for security reasons. I can't wait to get them.

edit: win.

Didn't see with shipping + brand new looking + travel case.

• Members

That's a pretty good deal. The amp head alone usually sells for $700-800, without a case, and 1960A usually sell for around $500, if mint or close. Plus shipping thrown in. Enjoy the new Marshall halfstack:D.

• Members

I'm sure ejoying my DSL 50 I just got today. I just went through a trial period with a Orange Rocker 30. Had it almost a month before I made my mind up. Great amp but a little one dimensional. Plus you cant get good distortion tones unless you turn it up and it is very loud. That 30 watter packs a wallup. Good tones also.

I figured I could get more tones out of the Marshall and I was right. I wanted an EFX loop too. I can even get some good classic tones at low volume. Haven't got to unleash it yet but I'm sure it will be even better at volume. I already have a Bad Monkey to boost with and exciter in the loop. Sounds great mang.

Looking forward to hearing about yours!

• Members

I think that I may have to try that. Can any damage occur from doing this? I don't mean to sound like a dumbass but this is my first tube amp and I don't want to f*** things up. Also, what type of cable do you use to attach the head to the cab. I have a 18" monster rock cable, would that work or are there better options out there?

• Members

Dont use a guitar cable! Use a proper speaker cable!!! Guitar cables are made to handle tiny voltages - ie millivolts!!! Speaker cable is much much more heavy duty!! They are made to handle watts! And lots of em too!! Using a instrument cable is like pouring hot water out of a bucket down a straw!!! Dont do it - it stresses your ouput transformer and if you do it for long and with any serious volume damage is likey to occur!!

• Members

Go with the dsl 100.

You can always take out two tubes and run it as a 50watter...

But you cant add tunes to the 50 to make it a 100.

I love my dsl, Ive ran it as both, but currently its set up as a fifty...

Once, the eurotube guy, cant remeber his name, said with the DSL's, this would be a bad idea. You can do it with the older Marshall's, but honestly I cant remeber what it was about the DSL's that would f*ck your amp up.

Archived