dumb preamp tube question

Fuzzboy

• Members

I just got my 50 watt Avenger. Not all of the preamp tubes were lighting up. from left to right the 2nd and 4th one were lit. The guy told me they were pretty new. I popped in some older tubes into the 1 and three and they all lit. Should they be all lit(thats the dumb question)

tubes suggestions to sooth the highs on this beast a bit?

• Members

watch the treble controls on it. Does it have a presence control? If it does, watch how high you run it also.
If it makes sound, with the unlit preamp t00bs, I dont see a problem, but by no means am I a tech, so idk, but Ive never heard of em not lighting and still working :idk:

• Members

Yes, the tubes need to be "lit" to work, but with some brands of tubes it will be harder to see than other brands. Sometimes you almost can't even tell they're lit up unless you look very closely or the room is dark.

yup, I have some tung sol's that dont look like they light up at all.. and I have some sovteks that light up like a lightbulb.

• Members

Makes sense now. they all light. now any ideas about maybe some smoothing of the highs just a touch.

Like other have said, some preamp tubes light up brightly, some hardly light up at all but that doesn't men they're not working.

As far as your treble issues, what are your EQ settings so far ?

Archived