Noisy Deluxe Reverb

tommy_is_here

• Members

So, quick question to all Deluxe Reverb owners. How noisy is your amp? And by that, I mean without any cable plugged into the amp, how much ambient noise does the amp dish out sitting with both power and standby switches on.

I noticed a couple things:

1) mine gets noisier as I turn the reverb up. As soon as the reverb is above 1.5, it gets quite noisy.

2) As volume is turned up, the ambient noise increases.

Wondering if anyone has a silent DR?

Thanks!

Tommy

• Members

mine is also wired PTP, and has some other mods. its not super noisy.... i can hear some low level humming, but any tube amp will have SOME idle noise.

i wouldnt consider it "noise" though... just some normal low level hum :idk:

• Members

yeah, hum is a better word. I was playing a 70s Deluxe Reverb today, which sounded a bit more quiet though. I'm going to A/B them tomorrow to find out if my mind is just playing tricks on me.

WIth that said, if you've got a ptp, do you get a lot more hum as you turn the reverb up?

Cheers,
Tommy

• Members

this is what i noticed yesterday... with nothing plugged in, if i turned the reverb up, i heard an increase in noise. however, my reverb wasnt plugged in right (i had the leads switched). so i dont know if that was it or not.

also, i dont know about your amp, but i dont turn the reverb past 2 really... the reverb is very intense

• Members

Hey guys,

The reverb tube is new, and good.

So, I'm wondering if the reverb lines were installed opposite (I'll switch and give it a shot) Also, seems to me the DRRI reverb wires seem kind of flimsy, wondering if they should be replaced with higher quality stuff.

• Members

Hey guys,

The reverb tube is new, and good.

So, I'm wondering if the reverb lines were installed opposite (I'll switch and give it a shot) Also, seems to me the DRRI reverb wires seem kind of flimsy, wondering if they should be replaced with higher quality stuff.

No noise here with "cheap" reverb wires. PTP does not make an amp sound any better than the PC board. It does make it easy to repair.

Archived