So I saw Symphony X yesterday (Engl content) ...

Demonofthefall

• Members

Major arse kicking.

Romeo used 2 Engl's ... I'd say a Powerball and a Fireball.

It sounded much better than his previous Line6 rig.

... but still, to me it does not even come close to the live sound he had at the time of the Twilight in Olympus / V era. Anyone knows what he was using then ? I think it was boogies ... or perhaps it's simply that I was younger at the time and way easier to impress ...

Now the real question.

Have you ever heard an Engl that sounded good live ?

And by good I mean in your face and upfront so that you can actually hear every notes played without it constantly fighting with the bass and the drums.

From my experience, I was only impressed once by an Engl live and it was Andre Olbrich's (Blind Guardian ... according to their website, he uses a Powerball) ... but I'm not even sure he was using it since it was not visible on stage. My experience is limited to Dimmu Borgir, Necrophagist and a bunch of smaller bands ...

• Members

I just saw SymX this Sunday night in Philly and IMO it was the best I've heard Romeo live by far. He FINALLY had some ooomph and presence to him, bascially, I heard him and he wasn't lost in the mix. I just did not like his Line6 tones at all live. He had BALLS for tone. His Engl rig is much fuller and cut just fine.

Engls I heard live...Blind Guardian(I thought it a was Savage), Nevermore (Loomis had an Invader 100 - Chris an SE), and another opening band that I'm blanking on the name, but one guy had an Invader and the other a Prophesy into some poweramp I couldn't identify and my friend and I noticed right away, the guy with the rack was small compared to the guy with the Invader.

On DVD...I know not quite as telling...but I really like Marty's and Ron J's tone on Marty Friedman's latest DVD. They're both using SEs and it sounds pretty good to me.

• Members

From my experience, I was only impressed once by an Engl live and it was Andre Olbrich's (Blind Guardian ... according to their website, he uses a Powerball) ... but I'm not even sure he was using it since it was not visible on stage. My experience is limited to Dimmu Borgir, Necrophagist and a bunch of smaller bands ...

Andre's used a few things over the years. Used various ENGLs for most of it, but has also at times used Marshall stuff.

As for Romeo, I think he used to use a Triaxis rig of some sort, no?

• Members

On DVD...I know not quite as telling...but I really like Marty's and Ron J's tone on Marty Friedman's latest DVD. They're both using SEs and it sounds pretty good to me.

I don't like the tones of Marty's latest album at all. I hear alot of SE clips that sound killer but not on his album, IMO.

Ritchie Blackmore, too. I can't get into his Engl tones on his albums at all compared to his old tones. I do like some of the Scorpions albums where they are using Engls. Savage 120 I think. It sounds good but they are using alot of other shit too so who knows exactly what is what with them.

I have an Invader at the moment and I like it and I don't on certain days ....needs a bias and probably a bad tube somewhere because it sounded better to me when I first got it.:cry:

Or maybe it's because my Nitro sounds so much better to me....I don't know. :confused:

• Members

Andre's used a few things over the years. Used various ENGLs for most of it, but has also at times used Marshall stuff.

As for Romeo, I think he used to use a Triaxis rig of some sort, no?

He (Romeo) used Mesa's as well, I remember reading a blog where the blogger saw Symphony X on their 'V' tour, and Romeo was using Mesa's

Also read a 'net interview with Romeo, when asked what gear he used in recording 'The Odyssey' he stated it was mainly done on a Pod, with some parts being recorded with his trusty old Mesa. I'll see if I cant somehow find it.

Only bands I've seen use Engl's that I know of are Blind Guardian in '06, and Echoes Of Eternity.

When I saw Nevermore on the Gigantour a few years back they had Kranks onstage.

Oh, and i agree with Romeo getting lost in the mix a bit with his Vetta's, but when I saw him on the 2nd stage on the Gigantour, he had a HD147 onstage, and he sounded killer, cut thru the mix and everything. I dont know if it was a backup or what, but I swear it was a HD147.....said Line6 on it, was somewhat silver colored, and had a single row of regular amp knobs...no push-button/LED's or anything. Anyhow, sounded great.

• Members

This was on Symphony X's website, one of the interviews during 'The Odyssey' time period. Not the same one I saw a few years back, but....

Michael Romeo: I have a Mesa Boogie Duo Rectifier and other amps. For Odyssey, I also used the Pod Pro amp simulator, for clean sounds. I like it, because you have many options in a small unit. For a while, I was satisfied with the Pod, but now I have the Line6 Vetta. At first, it's a bit more difficult to use. But wow, it's better. The sound is really great !

Archived