Anybody else have a Crate GFX-1200 Head

RedJamaX

• Members

I have a Crate GFX-1200 Head on the standard package deal 4x12 crate cabinet with sucky crate speakers. I actually really like the sound the head produces, for the low cost that is. Anyway, I like it better than my buddy's Marshall MG100HDFX. I can only get up to volume level 5.5 before it starts to get really distorted unless I take away the Bass. I put my head on my buddy's Marshall cabinet but I could only a go a little bit farther before getting the same result, of course he also has the cheap Marshall 4x12 cabinet, niether one of us has a $1000 cabinet to test it on.

Has anybody else used one of these Crate heads on a really nice cabinet with good results?? Or should I just plan on a tax return being donated to Mesa Boogie one year???

OK, I know the best option between those choices, but Lets say I can't afford the entire Mesa half stack package, would it still sound good (ie: no distortion at high volume levels) to go ahead and get the Mesa cabinet for my Crate until I can afford the Mesa Head?????

• Members

Well, now I must clarify....

I like it when compared against my buddy's MG100HDFX and other half stacks I have heard at the same price range. But I have played a Mesa Triple Rec at GC and they had to tell me to turn it down 3 times that day, and there is no comparison. I was just wondering if investing in a really good cabinet would help to aleviate the distortion problem as a temp fix until I can afford the $2000-$3500 for the Mesa Head.

• Members

Well, now I must clarify....

I like it when compared against my buddy's MG100HDFX and other half stacks I have heard at the same price range. But I have played a Mesa Triple Rec at GC and they had to tell me to turn it down 3 times that day, and there is no comparison. I was just wondering if investing in a really good cabinet would help to aleviate the distortion problem as a temp fix until I can afford the $2000-$3500 for the Mesa Head.

well...my honest opinion is to get the mesa...i don't know how much a new speaker cab will help the crate head....plus the crate head is rated like for 2 ohms i think....so if you go to 4/8/16 ohm cab...there will be huge volume loss probably...someone correct me if i'm wrong here

Archived