Lonesome Wind

SteveE9C6

• Members

Yikes--drum machine country music. I don't think the world is ready for that. The vocal is a little weak--it's hard to make out the melody with the vocal wobbling. It may just be in the wrong key for the vocalist. The pedal steel counterpoints the vocal well, though. The chorus is good, but the vocal problem runs throughout.

• Members

Steve,

Alt-Country is not my primary style, but I like Lonesome Wind - good song structure, good lyrics, love the pedal steel. I think the drum machine comment may be due to the fact that the drums are very consistent - not a lot of variation or fills - so it sounds like a lot of programmed drum tracks. Also, I don't know if I would describe it as "warbling", but I did notice that it was hard to understand the words a lot of the time and for a story song to work you really need to hear all the lyrics. Maybe some compression on the vocal or making the vocal track more prominent in the mix with additional panning/eq would help.

So all in all, I pretty much agree with Chicken Monkey except for the "yikes" part.

Ram Sadasiv

http://www.myspace.com/DanceMusicForGrownups

http://www.soundclick.com/DanceMusicForGrownups

• Members

I remixed this last night and tried a slightly different multiband compressor format and a tiny eq adjustment to make the vocal more intelligible. The lead guitarist emailed me about something else he noticed that I will try to fix today. All in all, it seems to be doing ok. It is number one on the alt. country charts this morning, and number seven on the country chart. While I have no illusions about being a big time artist (Heck, I'm 54, fat, bald, and a pedal steeler) I do hope to have some success in the writing business.

• Members

OOOHHH. the soundclick VIP package! very pretty!

alright, the music: whether or not the drummer was real or a computer chip, it definitely DOES come through as a drum machine. i think it's less the drummer's fault than the recording technique employed. EDIT: listening to it again, yeah, it's the drummer's fault! man, how about a variation or two sometimes? goddamn, how redundant! that last-three-eighth notes of every fourth measure on the snare is killing me! KILLING ME!

i like this song and i typically hate country. i like the story thing that goes on a lot in country music, though. this song has that, but at the risk of getting a bit too long.

i also think your voice is good, but maybe a bit stronger at parts would be be a welcome addition. you should full voice a part here or there. despite a good approach and tone, the vox is almost annoyingly static at certain points. (it's really the same thing as the drummer comment, but applied to the vocals now, if you think about it)

the lap steel sound is maybe a bit too soaked in cliche for this city boy, but well done if that's your thing. the mix is really quite good (minus the drum comments!)

overall, i think you have something to your vocals and the song in general sounds pretty well-crafted. EDIT: taking the drum and vox comment seriously, the underlying issue would be that there's no real development to this tune. like a good short story should be, a good tune should have a real climactic part (if not more than one) to pull it together. you sing the same way from start to finish. your drummer plays the same way from start to finish. i feel the same way listening to it from start to finish. there's limited development. that said, it seems like that's an issue that would be taken care of by a good producer and artist combo, (taking in stride that you mentioned a songwriting career) but even when you pitch this song, you should hint at a climax better than you did in this performance. it's not a good addition, in my opinion; it's NECESSARY.

• Members

it definitely DOES come through as a drum machine.

The repetition was deliberate and was looped to give it that effect, so I guess that is where the "drum machine" sound comes from. If it were a drum machine, I could apply "swing", but since it's not midi, my options are more limited, unless I wish to record a measure or two at a slightly different tempo/feel and cut and paste.

There is no lap steel on this It is a pedal steel. Pedal steel is my primary instrument. :p

A friend of mine and pretty well known (major league) mastering engineer gave me a lengthy evaluation of my mix yesterday. Overall, he felt I had done a pretty decent job. He asked me to increase the predelay on the main vocal reverb, and gave me some specific frequency adjustment settings regarding the bass.

I appreciate each and every comment you folks make.

I am certainly not a pro engineer and doing this all myself loses a bit of perspective.

This was all done on Sonar5PE using a combination of Mackie onyx pre's, a Joe Meek TwinQ Pre/ digital outs, and a number of different mics... from AT4050 to SM57's.

The tracking room/Mixing room is 17x24 10 foot ceilings and has been treated with bass traps, aurelex panels, diffusors, and a floating hardwood floor.

• Members

Originally posted by SteveE9C6

There is no lap steel on this It is a pedal steel. Pedal steel is my primary instrument.
:p

alright, man. you got me!

Originally posted by SteveE9C6

The tracking room/Mixing room is 17x24 10 foot ceilings and has been treated with bass traps, aurelex panels, diffusors, and a floating hardwood floor.

i'd kill for something like this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Country music is my favourite music of all time and I like your song, even though you could make it a bit shorter, or at least add some instrumental breaks to give the listener a break from the constant singing.

What makes the drums sound bad is the bass drum, it sounds like one of those 80's electronic drums. I think it would be better if you just got rid of the bass drum.

Also, Turn that steel guitar way up! I can barely hear it. It's awesome that you play steel so turn it way up.

• Members

Steve, I like this song more. Great steel playing! It's my favourite instrument in the world and I hope to learn to play it too one day too.

Do you sing and play steel at the same time?

I also like the other songs on your site. Man, the steel adds such a nice touch! I don't know why every band doesn't have one, they should, country or not :)

Archived