Will a rotozip saw through 3/4'' Plywood (Not O.T., I'm building speaker baffle).

turtletheyertle

• Members

Im planning on building two of the 112 cabs from ax84 and I need to cut big holes to mount the speakers. Id rather just buy a rotozip then a router, will it be powerful enough to cut through 5 ply 3/4'' birch? (i plan on using a circle jig which is available for rotozip or a router).

• Members

nope.. it sucks-- you need a proper cutting bit. you can do it IF you use a 1/4" shank cutting bit with it (preferably a good router bit) but you'll need to regauge the circle jig (if you're using it!).

i tried it a long while back-- you'll just burn up bits, and leave a ragged hole!

• Members

I dont use the rotozip much, but it should get through plywood.. Im pretty sure there are different models, so if you have/buy the weakest one then it will prolly struggle a bit and burn out the bit quicker.. Like the dude above mentioned, if your not gonna route it out, then go with a jigsaw.. THats what I use for the cabinets I build..

• Members

it's not imperative-- a good clean cut with a jigsaw'd work great-- especially if you're using grille cloth! routers are great-- but as long as you have a hole that works-- neither's better... one might be a little cleaner.. but nobody's gonna give you bonus points either way-- so whatever works! just measure well and use a compass..

• Members

Isn't a router with a circle jig like this one better for this job then a jigsaw?

well yeah, if you have a template to route with, then your perfect. But you mentioned you didnt want a router.. A jigsaw then is the next tool in line...And cheaper than a decent router.. A jigsaw will get you pretty damn close, but not perfect. Im personally a carpenter for 12 years and feel comfortable free handing with a jig-saw. If you dont have as much experience using a jig-saw, then you should get the router, or rent one for the job..

• Members

nope.. it sucks-- you need a proper cutting bit. you can do it IF you use a 1/4" shank cutting bit with it (preferably a good router bit) but you'll need to regauge the circle jig (if you're using it!).

i tried it a long while back-- you'll just burn up bits, and leave a ragged hole!

ditto on that, they have no ass. Get a Bosch jigsaw, yeah, that's the ticket.

Archived