Credits question

Beastly

• Members

just wanted to see what the common trend is in the following hypotheticals

I have written alot of songs over the years, and have always wondered about some things. Sometimes i write alone, and obviously, i have no question who gets credit here. But

#1 You're noodling on a guitar etc., you're on the fence about something you're playing, or barely paying attention even, you like it, but you dont really think about it....then someone says "i like that! that should be our new tune!" --------- Is "witnessing" in any way collaborating?

#2 You've written a song and present the song to the band. Drummer adds one pause to one riff one time....and its a nice addition. Drummer quits --------------- Keep the Pause?

#3 You've written every song in your band. Your band breaks up. You've put out Cd's as the old band, nothing serious, just demos to sell at shows etc, but they've sold nonetheless. When writing music for new songs and new band, you find that old lyrics fit in one a whole new way (different styles of music btw).........what do you do? waht doooo yooooo dooooo? Is it okay to recycle the lyrics? to John Fogarty one's self, one might say

?????

• Members

here's how i see it:

#1 - no. it's yours

#2 - song's still yours, but the orchestration idea was part of his collaboration. in court, historically, though, it's yours

#3 - you wrote the tunes. they're yours. no matter with whom you're playing. if you earn performance royalties, the songwriter's part is all you.

the real answer to all your questions: talk about it with the guys in the moment and the short answer: SPLIT LETTER (aka - split sheets!)

• Members

hey thanks

im afraid i have no idea what split sheets are though

its also got nothing to with royalties (in my mind anyway), i just like credit, if and when its due. I dont hesitate to give credit either, i've worked with some talented dudes, i just wanted to know more.

thanks again

• Members

I'd agree with bluesway in every instance--they're all yours!

From what I've heard--In general, lyrics and melodies are copyright-protected; chord progressions and rhythms are not (I think song structure is similar). Of course, there will be instances where the general rule won't apply.

Just think if chord progressions could be copyrighted. I'd love to own I-IV-V!!!

It's a solid practice to discuss songwriting credit with anyone you play or write with (songwriting sessions, rehearsals, studio, live), especially during the creation of the song.

Archived