Twin Reverb RI vs. 59' Bassman RI

jcoons32

• Members

Well, I'm basically just wondering what the big differences between these two amps are (besides the tube complement, speakers, and color!) What is the big difference sound-wise between the two of them? I have a used Twin Reverb that I'm not too fond of, and I was going to buy some new tubes for it to see if it would sound better. But I was also thinking about just selling the Twin and maybe buying a Bassman. Does anyone have any experience with both of them? Please let me know. Thanks! -Jon

• Members

They're completely different sounding amps.

Twin Reverb = one of the best clean sounds in the world. It's own breakup is pretty nasty sounding and generally undesirable.

Bassman = one of the best tube breakup sounds in the world.

• Members

In what aspect do they sound different though? I'm not looking for a breakup amp, mostly just a clean amp to use with my American Standard Strat. Do you have a preference for one or the other? Is the Bassman more 'punchy'?

• Members

This is like asking me how do an orange and an apple taste different?

These two sounds are kind of things that people tend to assume people already know the difference between and they'll use these two sounds as references to describe other amps.

59' Bassman

kICb4GcYMhA

Twin Reverb

_XGytE0BdxI

• Members

Basically, the Twin is one of the loudest amps pound for pound ever made (it's dangerous to put it past 4 in a bedroom). It's designed to be clean at the loudest volumes without the use of a master knob. My brother owns one and he plays alot of Ambeint/Post Rock, and uses alot of pedals. This amp is perfect for pedals since there's really no tone coloring with it. Some of the sweetest cleans you'll ever hear, and this really depends on the tone of your guitar. If your guitar is {censored}, it's really gonna show with the Twin. The breakup can be pretty unmusical, it'd be unsafe to stand next to it when that happends too. It could use some new tubes to even out the string response to give more dynamics....so could all amps though.

The Bassman is THE Rockabilly amp. It's suposed to sound more bluesy and it breaks up early. The overdrive on this pretty much inspired Marshall amps in the early 60's. Now you could maybe fool people into thinking you were using a Twin when recording when you were really using the early clean gain of the Bassman and vise versa. I think it mainly depends on the grene you play.

Archived