Dont Pray for Rain

VERSE 1

Daddy was a crooked man who never told a lie

His hunch came from working fields, a back turned to the sky

Workin longer than daylight and harder than the dirt

He never stopped a day

Except to pray

At the country church

Spoken: And Daddy would always tell me...

CHORUS

Dont pray for rain, my son

Just let the Lord provide

Some days are drenched in rain, my son

Some days are gonna be dry

Dont ask the Lord for more

And miss what Hes already done

Dont pray for rain

Thank God for the sun

VERSE 2

For thirty-seven summers me and my Daddy worked the ground

Each year I'd work some more and each year he'd slow down

Last summer I worked alone, it was the hardest one in years

The only drops

That fell on the crops

Were my sweat and tears

Spoken: And Daddy would always tell me...

CHORUS

BRIDGE

Summer went to August

Daddy went to the Lord

As we covered his grave in the dust

The heavens started to pour

Daddy spoke once more

CHORUS 2

Dont pray for rain, my son

Just let the Lord provide

Some days are drenched in rain, my son

Some days are gonna be dry

Dont ask the Lord for more

And miss what Hes already done

Dont pray for rain

Thank God for His Son

Thanks in advance, y'all.

• Members

I suppose I should explain that I am a songwriter and not a performer. After I get the song critiqued I'll take it to my publisher in Nashville. Then, session musicians and session singers will hit the notes I most definitely can't!

I was kinda' hoping that non-religious people could identify with the song, too- maybe more on a father/son old ways/new ways level...

• Members

Lyrics are the strongest aspect of the song. Very solid lyrics: good story, and I get the main character. It took me a second to understand how you were using "crooked." Nice.

One thing I didn't like about the last chorus, sun to Son. It's not a religious issue, just a writerly one. Isn't it a bit cliche to switch those two words around? Sometimes cleverness and wordplay can elicit a groan and mar a good tune. Gotta be careful with puns.

I think a Christian listener would understand the deeper meaning behind "Thank God for the sun" without having to spell it out in the final chorus.

Melody works best in the chorus (except on "more," as JSimms noted). Maybe sing it in a different key?

Well done!

• Members

Originally posted by Christopher Kai

I suppose I should explain that I am a songwriter and not a performer. After I get the song critiqued I'll take it to my publisher in Nashville. Then, session musicians and session singers will hit the notes I most definitely can't!

I was kinda' hoping that non-religious people could identify with the song, too- maybe more on a father/son old ways/new ways level...

Yeah, I remember that you have people that perform your stuff, I was just yanking your chain a bit. ;)

As far as non-religious people identifying with the song, I think that most of them will be able to. Most people profess religion whether they have it or not, and I think that you have written an easily identifiable and poignant theme. Just not for me personally--I have an aversion to even vaguely religious songs. Just my atheist blood I suppose.

• Members

Originally posted by Stackabones

[...]I think a Christian listener would understand the deeper meaning behind "Thank God for the sun" without having to spell it out in the final chorus.

[...]

I agree with this as well.

• Members

LOL- Great point! If I change chorus 2 to "Thank God for the Son" the listener wouldn't know any difference but it would still flip the meaning... does that still make you groan?

• Members

Good to see you back here, Christopher. I like the lyrics a lot. I don't care so much for the chord progression, especially during the verse. The minor chord with a major dominant thing is well worn.

As much as I love the lyrics, I would definitely drop the Son bit. As it is, when you get to that part, it kind of cheapens the song. Since the rest of the song doesn't provide a strong lead to that twist, it doesn't provide a great resolution. The song, in retrospect, becomes less than what it purports to be. If you leave it as "sun", the double meaning is not a difficult leap, and the song appears to have greater depth. Does that make sense?

• Members

If I change chorus 2 to "Thank God for the Son" the listener wouldn't know any difference but it would still flip the meaning... does that still make you groan?

You're right, listeners will hear it or not. If they get it (sun=Son), you're not flipping the meaning. If they don't get it, one day they will.

On the page (that is, reading the lyric), changing the spelling of "sun" to "Son" is a gimmick--one that's used by unsure lyricists, but one that could be avoided in a strong lyric like yours.

As Chicken Monkey said,

If you leave it as "sun", the double meaning is not a difficult leap, and the song appears to have greater depth.

Well said, and I agree.

Archived