FEW VOX QUESTIONS

bmast160

• Members

1) switched the preamp tubes in my ac30cc2 and it was a pain in the ass because of the little rubber inserts buffering the glass of the tubes from the metal...i just ended up taking them out because they made it really hard to get the tubes back in...are they really necessary...is there something else i could get installed in the amp to hold them in place instead...

so i just took all three out, put the three tubes in and then slid the rubber down as far as it could on the tubes...

2) i decided to unplug red/white cables from the reverb tank from the amp since i dont use it and i think the amp sounds a little better with the tank out of the signal line...

when i had the back plate off to switch the tubes i noticed that i could unplug the other ends of the red/white cables where they connect directly to the circuit board...can i do this...

• Members

Theyre there just to stop microphonics, on the whole most tubes dont have them really, only 1 tube in my amp has them, I wouldnt worry too much unless you see a major increase in microphonics/tube rattle.

oh really? thought they were to keep the tubes attached securely...

any ideas on the red/white reverb cable?

• Members

well...in case anyone cares i tried it...
got an email back from vox saying it was ok to do.

i opened the back and carefully removed the two cables from the circuit board without touching any of the circuits...then played a little...put them back in...played a little more...took em out...put them back in...etc..
liked how it sounded and seemed a tiny bit clearer but like there was just a little something missing...maybe a tiny bit of gain?...not sure if its because i didnt change my gain/vol setting after as im sure it has an affect on those....
it almost sound like it was a little clearer but a little of the sustain a little less...but i ended up putting it back how it was...with the cable connected to the circuit board and not connected to the reverb tank...

id like to see what other people think when they try it...if anyone does.

Archived