Texas Music... Friday Night Lights

SteveE9C6

• Members

sweet little tune, man! i liked it quite a bit. i really like your voice. i typically don't like the warbly (is that a word?) style of country singing, but you did it SO MUCH, that i actually think it vibes really well.

any tune about tradition is cool for me. i know down there, hs football is - in a lot of ways - bigger than NFL for some folks. that's a really cool social phenomenon. the only thing that i really didn't like is that you borrowed the title from a movie about the same thing. you could've done better, i think. all in all, though, refer to the first two sentences i wrote.

• Members

the only thing that i really didn't like is that you borrowed the title from a movie about the same thing

Actually, they borrowed a common Texas phrase in use for many years.;)

My son is playing his senior year for the "Bremond Tigers". This is a 1A team (very small school). He is the last of our seven kids in HS and graduates in December. He has already enlisted in the USMC delayed entry and leaves for boot camp Jan 2.

Thanks for the comments...

• Members

I really enjoyed this song... since I like just about every GENRE of music, and was raised on country, I appreciate this one very much!!

The steele guitar was a nice touch, the story line of the song, recognizable and will make most folks remember those Friday Night Lights... nice job on the lyrics and music!!!

I enjoyed listening to this... and Liked it... don't really have a critique... just wanna say... GOOD JOB!!!

- Von

• Members

Just got myself a FLYNN pedal steel... learning to play... making me NUTS... just leraning to tune the thing is enough to make me wanna pull my hair out...

you playing eveything... GOOD JOB!!!!

I just had my aunt listen... just wanted you to know she loved it. .... she's 83!!

Von

• Members

Von... it's really addictive. I've been playing pedal steel about 35 years and I love it.

Several years back I founded a forum at www.umgf.com

If you go to that forum and look for the "Slide it on over" section, you will see a series of articles I wrote that is essentially a steel guitar primer. Of course I hang at the pedal steel forum as well.

Tell your aunt I love her!

Thanks for all the replies

• Members

I love it. I'm all misty-eyed. I can smell the fresh cut grass of the field and feel the damp swish of the grass on my cleats.

Nice steel guitar! Man, we need one of those!

I really thought the lyrics in this really provided a good visual. Plus, football is dear to my heart. I love the subject matter. And thinking about it, I wonder if this might work better with a real narrative about 2 teams getting together to play the first game of the season. Anyway, I really like it as is.

Thanks

• Members

Plus, football is dear to my heart. I love the subject matter.

Yeah... me too. My day job is practicing family medicine as a PA. I go to all the games as the team doc. We've had several children involved in football over the years. At one point, we had a JV player, varsity player, and cheerleader... with dear old dad as the team doc. Now we are down to the youngest playing his senior year. I'll keep doing the team doc stuff because I enjoy it and it gives something back to the community. Last year was great as we went deep into the playoffs, reaching semi-finals. This year is not starting out so hot, but we haven't begun district play yet.

• Members

Steve, I think I've whined about your vocals in the past. I like the effect here, but it makes it hard to make out the lyrics. I think that the Steel is especially well placed here. The outro is just so-so, but everywhere else it really weaves in-n-out well.

Your drummer is growing on me, too. Or did you play 'em this time?

• Members

Thanks guys....

Chicken Monkey... these are DOD loops.

BTW.... My Sony ATV/Tree contact didn't want this song. He didn't feel it had more than a regional appeal. He suggested I have a real singer come in and redo the vocals and do a local/texas release. He's a multiplatinum writer who is a good friend and is very honest with me. He's also pitched one of my songs to a major label, so I have a lot of faith in his judgment.

I'm playing pedal steel in a couple weeks with a regional artist with a couple of country hits. I'm gonna pitch it to him.

Archived