Engl is weird on standby

Demonofthefall

• Members

So yesterday at band practice, I put my Engl Invader on standby before grabbing a beer for the break. After a few seconds, the amp starts producing random buzzes and slight popping sounds through the cab. I'm like WTF? and turn off the standby mode and it stops.

Possible explanations ?

Hopefully, it is still under warranty ...

Thx

• Members

Yeah, on my Savage if the amp is on standby and I plug in and play you can still hear the guitar faintly. The pops and noises could be produced by any number of external things. If a cellphone goes off in the vicinity of my friends amp it makes weird ass noises. Dirty power could also give you some odd noises.

Before you start going through the hassle of warranty repair, I'd try it again with different guitars, different outlets, different cabinets, etc. and see if the problem persists.

• Members

Yeah, on my Savage if the amp is on standby and I plug in and play you can still hear the guitar faintly. The pops and noises could be produced by any number of external things. If a cellphone goes off in the vicinity of my friends amp it makes weird ass noises. Dirty power could also give you some odd noises.

Before you start going through the hassle of warranty repair, I'd try it again with different guitars, different outlets, different cabinets, etc. and see if the problem persists.

I tried different guitars, outlets and power cords and it persisted. I also unplugged the guitar cable (not the speaker cable).

Warranty repair won't be that much of a hassle since I'm only 10 minutes away from the store where I bought the amp and in fact ... I barely use it. Actually, I was even thinking of selling it ...

• Members

Yup, just turn your master down if you don't want to hear it... They're so brutal not even standby can hold them back.
:evil:

I haven't tried turning the master down ... but even if this works, it is still very strange to me because it's a new problem, the amp had always been quiet on standby before ...

• Members

I haven't tried turning the master down ... but even if this works, it is still very strange to me because it's a new problem, the amp had always been quiet on standby before ...

Ok, maybe you have some tube issues going on then, since your tech is close, have it checked out or retube it yourself.

• Members

I had this on my old Marshall JCM800. It was scratchy and hissy anyway. Took it apart (some) and cleaned all dust out of the pots, jacks and everything else i could reach with some contact-spray and it was gone. Could also be a bad speaker cable (yes even when your on bypass)

Archived