Saw Sponge Friday night...

MattACaster

• Members

Sponge has been on of my favorite bands since High School but I've never gotten a chance to see them before. A buddy and me tried to see them back in 2001. The show had been advertised as 18+, but when we got there is was 21+ so it was no go. However, the singer and guitar player were cool enough to come out and say hi to us when they found out what was going on. The singer even made a few calls to see if they could get us in somehow. Still no go but I think that it was awesome that they tried. :thu:

Anyway, back to Friday. The singer is the only original member of the band left and I wasn't holding out much hope of a good show. I figure I could at least say that I saw them and that would be it. I'm proud to say that I was totally wrong and they kicked all kinds of ass and played quite a bit of their old stuff. Seeing them play "Plowed" was just one of the coolest things ever.

Some of you might remember that one...

[YOUTUBE]XHjdmNLs0go[/YOUTUBE]

Anyway, it was a kickass night and it was great to see them play the songs that got me through high school.

Gear report-

I don't remember the opening band's names so bare with me...

Band #1: They played your typical 90's radio rock type stuff. Both guitar players were sporting Gibson LPs and Marshall JMP halfstack. The tone was absolutely huge. Best of the evening.

Band #2: Kind of half rock and roll and half punk. Guitar player was using what look to be a tan Fender Hotrod with a Fender '52RI Telecaster. Great tone with lots of twang to it.

Band 3#: One guitar player was playing a Gibson LP Faded Double Cut with P90s into a dual channel JCM800 into what looked like two white Marshall Valvestate 4x12s. Tone wasn't horrible, but not great either. The other guitar player was running a Gibson SG into a Fender SuperSonic with a Marshall 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks. His tone was great! Very cutting with tones of crunch and sustain.

Sponge: They were using the usual H/S/S Strats. One guitar player had a fairly big pedal board but I really couldn't see what was on it other than a Line6 DM4 Distortion. The second guitar player was using a Boss GT8 into the Supersonic and his tone was god aweful. Unfortunatley I spent most of the show right in front of his amp. He wasn't using the GT8s distortion because I could see the amps channels change but it's was just terrible sounding. Maybe the GT8s fault??

• Members

I saw Sponge about 5 or 6 years ago. It was a free show?!? They were surpisingly good. I didn't expect much and I think that is what blew me away.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Few bands can survive an almost total lineup change and not suck, but they pulled it off.

This is from a few months ago with the same lineup I saw...

[YOUTUBE]jW00CiITx1c[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I saw them a few years ago here. I think it was the same lineup as in the second video. I felt bad for them because including me and the four friends I was with, there was like 15 people there. Of course, I'm sure they didn't care. They all looked like they were stoned off their asses anyway. But we did get them to sing Drag Queens in Memphis.

• Members

But we did get them to sing Drag Queens in Memphis.

Thats awesome!

I was hoping for some "Death of a Drag Queen" action myself, but no go. On the bright side they opened with Wax Ecstatic and threw Neehan Menasha in there so I was a happy boy.

Archived