How accomplished must you be?

phatboy444

• Members

I've been playing guitar for a while (about 13 years now), and I was wondering how accomplished most guitarist who play in bands were (that play originals, not covers). I know it's kind of a vague question, but I'm sort of having trouble deciding whether or not I should leave my playing as a hobby, or go out and try to play music. To give you some idea to my level of playing, I used to play in a cover band and had no trouble tackling solo's (both technically, and in terms of "feel") from bands like Weezer, Cake, and the Pixies, and even most Metallica songs.

• Members

It doesn't depend on how long you have been playing, it depends on your skill. If you know a pretty decent amount of music theory, have a lot of creativity, and have a lot of skill on guitar, then I do suggest that you go ahead and take guitar as a serious profession.

• Members

Originally posted by phatboy444

I've been playing guitar for a while (about 13 years now), and I was wondering how accomplished most guitarist who play in bands were (that play originals, not covers). I know it's kind of a vague question, but I'm sort of having trouble deciding whether or not I should leave my playing as a hobby, or go out and try to play music. To give you some idea to my level of playing, I used to play in a cover band and had no trouble tackling solo's (both technically, and in terms of "feel") from bands like Weezer, Cake, and the Pixies, and even most Metallica songs.

Dude, this looks like a post about fear and confidence. I am not a knowledgable guitarist... but I do know if you have this inclination to be in a true band, the only thing holding you back is "I am not good enough." Well, you ARE. So go make the dreams come true.........:thu:

• Members

at the risk of sounding like a total dumb deek, i can honestly say that i'm a pretty knowledgeable/accomplished jazz degree-having guitarist. ......and at the risk of sounding completely self-loathing, i can honestly say that it doesn't mean {censored}.

in the music biz forum, a reg there named BlueStrat said the most poignant thing in the 'words of wisdom' thread: "I wish i had spent less time trying to be a good guitarist. . . " .....he's right. it's completely worthless unless people call you into the studio to tastelessly wank on their stupid records. (which is what i do).....and really, how worth it is THAT?

just write songs and do something interesting with the guitar. btw, for me, the most interesting guitarist out of all those bands you named is the kid from weezer. (that guy from metallica sucks ass.......yeah.....I SAID IT! WHO WANTS SOME?!!!!):mad:

(that's such a funny comment if you just get over reading what i wrote in the "what makes musician's hate music?" thread)

(it's time for me to look into some therapy, huh?)

lol

• Members

I have been playing guitar for about 8 years now... One thing that I might suggest to you is that after a couple years of playing the same thing you get pretty good at it and all its nice.. But I try not to stay in the same genre of music in terms of my playing because thats pretty much like hitting a wall.. So after I did the whole chromatic scales and punk songs I ventured off into trying out jazz.. classical.. and I've been really getting into flamenco lately. Just keeps my skills to the test.

• Members

Guitar chops are probably the least important part of any (original) band's sound. The singer must be interesting (not necessarily a 'good' singer in the tradional sense--but must be able to hold people's attention) and the drummer must be in time. I think those two parts are essential to any band that wants to go anywhere--even on a local level. A great bass player is nice to have, but I wouldn't say that was critical, and even less so for the guitar.

If anything, rhythm chops are more crucial that soloing/licks for a guitarist. No matter what kind of band you are in, you are going to be playing rhythm most of the time. You've got to be rock solid on that front--practice with a metronome if you don't already have one.

There's a huge divide between people who play in bands that gig and people who stay in the house. Two totally different approaches to the guitar. If you're playing live, you have to be concerned with getting a good, manageable guitar sound, and you can't be worried about what you are going to play. You're dealing with a strange room/place, there's probably other bands so you have to get on and off stage quickly--you don't have time to get comfortable. Getting a good live sound is tricky...much more so than I thought it would be. You always need to be concerned about playing too loud (but not too quietly, either), and being able to manage any overdrive, distortion or other effects, and generally fitting in with the other instruments. It's tough, and you'll have to keep learning the same lessons over and over again until you get it.

Having said all that, I must say that the most fun I have had playing guitar was when I was doing a 6-8 hour a day practice routine, playing until my hands hurt too much to keep going, trying to figure out the mysteries of music. To me--and I'm an introverted loner type--that was fun. Way more fun than (1) trying to find other musicians to play with (2) trying to turn said musicians into a band (3) trying to get crappy local and regional gigs (4) trying to create and promote a set of original material with absolutely no encouragement from anyone and (5) in general, dealing with anything besides me and the guitar. To be honest, I often--very often--wish I hadn't started down the band/songwriting/recording/trying to 'make it' at some level road.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm at about... {censored} I can't remember. 4 years? Not long. Self taught, no real knowledge of theory, can't read music. I just play what I hear in my head (or see in a tab, but I play most things by ear). If you know the fretboard well enough, the only thing you have to work on is dexterity to do what you want with it.

Of course, I'm no virtuoso, but I get the job done the exact way I want it, and have no problem learning new songs in very short periods of time (10-30 minutes) and playing them exactly the way it sounds. I find that if I check it out, play it badly a few times, and then sleep on it, the next day I can play it perfectly. I think it's voodoo magic. Of course the more complex the song, the longer it takes simply due to the amount of information.

Sebmista has a great point to not stick to one genre. Every genre you hit will add something to what you play in every other genre, and really spices things up (it's fun to be out of your element too).

Reading what you say you can do (and how long you have been doing it), you shouldn't have a problem making original stuff unless you suck at arranging and writing, and if you do then you could doubtlessly play for a band. Whatever the condition, whatever the choice, Go for it!

• Members

Originally posted by ZigZagWanderer

Having said all that, I must say that the most fun I have had playing guitar was when I was doing a 6-8 hour a day practice routine, playing until my hands hurt too much to keep going, trying to figure out the mysteries of music. To me--and I'm an introverted loner type--that was fun. Way more fun than (1) trying to find other musicians to play with (2) trying to turn said musicians into a band (3) trying to get crappy local and regional gigs (4) trying to create and promote a set of original material with absolutely no encouragement from anyone and (5) in general, dealing with anything besides me and the guitar. To be honest, I often--very often--wish I hadn't started down the band/songwriting/recording/trying to 'make it' at some level road.

:cry:

Say it ain't so, Zigzag. I hear where you're coming from, I am also pretty reclusive. But I figure it is better to go ahead and try to "make it" than wonder what would happen if you did try. I think the hardest thing is to know when to quit. They say winners never quit, but they don't flog dead horses either. My own goal is to write good songs, develop melodically. Even if I end up working as a gas station attendant or a trial lawyer, I hope I don't lose whatever flair I may develop. Hopefully Phatboy will be encouraged to at least display his skills once and for all with a real band.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here?? any band is a real band...

but if u mean tryin to hook up with the big boys and gals on national levels, i wouldnt worry bout my gtr playin after 13 yrs i'd be worryin bout where and how to hook up with em and the rest will follow.

mostly colleges and universities is a good place to look on their bullenten boards in the music rooms... if i hadnt been snowed in, i might have been in wings. paul was holding auditions in new york and of course that had to be the yr we got snowed in the worst....

they had so many good ads looking for musicians and singers from the nationals..

Archived