Orange Tiny Terror and similar

tom_s252

• Members

You'll probably have guessed from the subject line that I'm out for a small, low-powered head to get into the valve amp game. I love my Sansamp dearly and it's a very useful tool, but I need a "real" amp.

So, throw some suggestions at me, along similar lines to the Orange Tiny Terror. Smallish, 15-watt (or thereabouts) heads.

In the short term, I've got an old combo with a 12" Celestion in it that I can use as a cab; I figure this way I can spend all my money on an amp and buy a better cab later on.

It's mostly for home jamming and recording, as I'm only playing bass out at the moment, but I'd like to be able to take it out and play live if and when I find a guitar gig again; previously I've always found myself in venues with decent PAs, or else hiring from a decent sound engineer friend of mine.

I know you lot love spending other peoples' money, so fire away.

• Members
I think Blackheart makes a head...and there's the Epi Valve Junior

prodPG_bh5h.gif
prodPG_bh15h.gif

Thanks for those :)

Is 5 watts enough to jam with a drummer? I jam with my brother (a drummer, but a tame, and indeed rather good one) a lot, and if I can't get a decent just-breaking-up tone loud enough to keep up with a kit, I'll happily go up to 15 watts.

• Members

The Tiny Terror is a great little amp - it does the rock thing wonderfully. 15 watts is enough volume to hang with a drummer and get some power tube compression at that volume, without having an angry soundguy.

I have a Valve Junior, and even modded, I don't think that it quite has enough juice to play out.

• Members

If you don't need an amp immediately, wait for the Egnater Rebel that should be hitting GC's in about a month and a half. 15 watts with power scaling (dialing the wattage from 1-15) and an effects loop.

• Members

Any idea what the price is going to be?

I think between 450-500...in the Tiny Terror range.

BTW - I just read it's 20 watts with power scaling. Also, I believe it has Gain/Treble/Mid/Bass/Master as well as the power scaling knob. That with the effects loop is selling me. I just can't deal with the having effects in front of an amp (Tiny Terror)

Archived