Can you help me find a good website for amp maintenance, diagnostics, etc?

tidalwaveGB

• Members

As you may have read in an earlier post, I am having problems with my Classic 30. After I play for about 30 minutes or so, the volume starts to fade almost completely out, and sometimes, but not always comes back on. It sounds like a tube issue, but since I am uncertain, I would like to know if there are any good online resources that would help diagnose this issue. Help, please?

Thanks.

• Members

As you may have read in an earlier post, I am having problems with my Classic 30. After I play for about 30 minutes or so, the volume starts to fade almost completely out, and sometimes, but not always comes back on. It sounds like a tube issue, but since I am uncertain, I would like to know if there are any good online resources that would help diagnose this issue. Help, please?

Thanks.

You think it's the tubes. Try putting some tubes in there that you know are good and see if the problem goes away. If you keep messing with it and the bad tube decides it's time to die, it's possible that it'll take part of your amp with it.

• Members

Try replacing the tubes. :poke:

Well, that's what I am thinking about doing. So, you think it sounds tube-related? I'm just a bit scared, because I have heard that this may also be transformer-related.

Do you think I should just do a full re-tube first? The current tubes are about two years old, and have been gigged with at least monthly (in addition to using the amp at loud volumes for practice).

My only issue is that it will probably run me close to $100 for a full re-tube (a little short on cash at the moment). Is it possible that maybe just one of the 12Ax7's need to be replaced, or could it be one of the EL-84's (meaning I would be replacing four tubes)?

Any ideas specifically of what this issue might be?

This is as specific as I can get about my amp issue: (GUITAR>PEDALS>AMP)

Step 1: Turn amp on, and let warm up for a minute or two.

Step 2: Begin to play on clean channel (at both low and high volumes).

Step 3: After about 20-30 minutes of playing, the volume fades completely within seconds. Sometimes it comes back on.

Step 4: Frustration ensues, and I come here for help.

Archived