Looking for new amp, any advice?

Runned

• Members

Right now I have a triple rec, that I have owned since 2002. In my previous project it fit right in. As of now though the new band I am playing it really doesnt call for that type of distortion. Not to mention its just to damn loud.

Im looking for a different distortion sound, and a better clean sound. I still want the option to get plenty of gain, and I dont want to loose all my low end. But I want something a little easier on the ears. Im playing in a new band, and its way to loud for the type of music we play. And even if I am '1' I am still the loudest person in practice. Where playing original hard rock music that sometimes gets heavier but never as a heavy as lets say 'Disturbed'.

Ive kinda boiled it down to three amps. I really dont want to go the boutique route if I can help it. And older marshall jcm 800, Mesa Mark IV, or one of the new JVM Marshalls, the one that has 4 channels. I have played some marshalls in the past that I thought sounded good, but I got caught up in the rectifier sound in the late 90's.

Anyways how is the mark IV's distortion compared to the Rectifier's? If its a stale as the rectifiers I dont want it, but I included because I have heard some good things about it, unfortunatly no one around has one so I cant try it.

Same with the Marshall JCM 800. I have played a few in the past that sounded well. One guy had a modded one from Voodoo Amps that sounded incredible.

• Members
The Mark IV blows the rectifier away. The recto has it's place, but there's no comparison IMO. If you want to see the kind of versatility the Mark IV has on just the lead channel alone, check the clip link in my sig.

Damn you have tool guitar down on that one song. Dont know the name of it, but I recognize it from there newer CD. Thats in the realm of what im looking for.

Question? What recording preamp did you use to record that with it really sounded nice. Also was your amp a combo, or a head with 2 speaker setup? Also :) if you dont mind me asking how far was the mics from the speakers, and did you use two 57's?

I am impressed.

Thanks

Archived