Great Title/Bad Song?

Chicken Monkey

• Members

I'da sworn I brought this up before, but I searched and it didn't come up. John Prine has a song called "Jesus, the Missing Years", which is supposed to be about the years of Jesus' life that are not mentioned in the Bible, those between 13 and 30. The song, however, doesn't work. It's a waste of a great title. I'm sure there are others out there.

My personal great title that I can't write a song to is "It Takes a Man to Break My Heart". I love the combination of condescending masculinity and unintended homoeroticism. But I can't write a song that deserves the title.

• Members

I've had a country song in the back of my mind for years in which the protagonist's wife is pleading for some communication throughout the verses. The chorus kicks in with:

"Can't it wait 'til halftime?

We can talk about it then.

I know we have our problems,

but honey, it's 1st and ten

But know that in the meantime

I'll be thinkin' of you dear

So just be a good little lady

and bring me another cold beer."

For some reason, my wife doesn't think it's very funny

• Members

I've had a country song in the back of my mind for years in which the protagonist's wife is pleading for some communication throughout the verses. The chorus kicks in with:

"Can't it wait 'til halftime?

We can talk about it then.

I know we have our problems,

but honey, it's 1st and ten

But know that in the meantime

I'll be thinkin' of you dear

So just be a good little lady

and bring me another cold beer."

For some reason, my wife doesn't think it's very funny

This sounds pretty funny (and good) so far.

• Members

Todzilla, that chorus has no business in this thread. It's way better than Buck Owens' "Big Game Hunter". If I knew anything about football, I'd steal it.

I was listening to Todd Snider's "Beer Run", and that is a good examples of the good chorus/lousy song problem, if not Great Title/Bad Song.

Archived