Computer/internet People-help!

Smachimo the T

• Members

So, I just got a laptop :o

and I'm trying to connect to the internet, I try to view the available networks..

and my next door neighbors is the only one that shows up!

now, I know this isn't an issue with my wireless router as 2 other computers are also connected to it (wirelessly).....

so, what is the problem?

can someone direct me to where I can find help?

• Members

what kind of router? Also, have you set up your router yet? That requires you connecting via a hardline to it first.

well, I've been using the router without a problem for a year or so now.

it's a verizon versalink modem/router all in one jingo jango.

do you mean-connect the laptop to it?

• Members

Just use your neighbors accesspoint...

and maybe check if your router is configured to broadcast its ssid. if not your ap won't show up and you have to enter the ssid to connect to manually.

wat?

could you post a link to describe how to do thiss?

• Members

okay. go into router settings on a computer that can. Just type 192.168.1.1 in your internet explorer bar or whatever.

There should be a tab in there called security or allowed mac addresses or soemthing of the sort. You need to enter your laptop's mac address in there. To find it, go to Start, Run, type "cmd", then in the prompt, type "ipconfig /all". Your mac address will be next to the one saying "physical address" Its a bunch of letters and numbers.

• Members

okay. go into router settings on a computer that can. Just type 192.168.1.1 in your internet explorer bar or whatever.

There should be a tab in there called security or allowed mac addresses or soemthing of the sort. You need to enter your laptop's mac address in there. To find it, go to Start, Run, type "cmd", then in the prompt, type "ipconfig /all". Your mac address will be next to the one saying "physical address" Its a bunch of letters and numbers.

Thank you, my friend.

I'll be back to confirm if this has worked.

• Members

wat?

could you post a link to describe how to do thiss?

easier, just check the wlan settings on one of the other computers that work with wlan and enter the same settings on the laptop. if your router is using dhcp (and i'm pretty sure it is if you haven't configured otherwise) you only need to enter the ssid (name of the wireless network) and probably an encryption key...

Archived