Buying a new amp....

paul999b

• Members

Alright. I've got 500-600 dollars in my hand and I need to buy a new amp. Doesn't have to be new, but new to me. I need to be able to play it in the bedroom and need to be able to play live.

I'm playing an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus w/a '59 + JB for Pickups.

Our band does a bunch of redneck covers (Drowning Pool, Godsmack, Nickelback, Disturbed) but I really want to be able to play stuff that I enjoy such as My Bloody Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu.

What does anyone suggest that I can find in that price range for a tube combo that I can run through a cab live? I've never owned a tube amp, just some solid states and valves. Most Vox's seem out of my price range, and I don't like most of the Peavey's. My only dirt pedal right now is my TS9. Anything would help me out. Thanks.

• Members

Have you heard any Traynor amps? They are really good for the money. What are you going to do with your MG? Are you going to keep it? Do you just want a head to go with your MG cab?

Selling them both and sold my Jagmaster. That's what's funding the new amp. Gonna get another cab at some point when I find a good deal. Like a tube combo. I've heard good things about Traynors, but I haven't played one.

• Members

The Traynor YCS50 is good for anything between clean and hard rock tones up to 90's early 90's metal. I believe you would like it with your guitar and pups. The thing sounds amazing when you crank it and still very good at low volumes.

Another Traynor option is the ycv50 blue but I've only heard clips and tested one out at very low volumes.. it was good but I bought the ycs50.

• Members

I'm actually fond of the Peavey Classic 30 after playing it a bit.

Has anyone tried any of the VOX Valvetronics? Are they worth looking at or is it another useles attempt at simulating a tube amp?

They are pretty cool for what they are, but they ARE modelers, so keep that in mind. They sound pretty good for a modeler, but it's still a modeler. I recommend looking for a tube if you can find one in your price range.

Archived