Low efficiency speaker for high power amps?

flip333

• Members

Hi,

I like my Mesa Mark III very much. I run it with a 2x12 cab loaded with an Eminence Red Ryder and a Tonespotter.

Its plenty loud and it sounds great loud, but it would be nice to get a good tone with less volume.

How about less efficient speakers? I could use Greenbacks if I had a 4x12 cab, but is there a speaker that takes around 50 watts and is low efficiency like the greenback?

• Members

g12t75s in a 212..

try g12m70s.. kinda greenbacky.. more treble, but much more mids than a t75- but a little more efficient...

you could also try a classic lead 80- it's only 1 db/w more efficient than a greenback. it'll

you could also use 2 8 ohms speaks in series for a 16 ohm load into the 8 ohm out. mesa says this is an OK mismatch-- call them if you're concerned, they'll tell you.. that'd burn 1/3 of your wattage off. it'll kill yer tubes off quicker.. but it'll let you play quieter.. but that's the 'risky' option. i've done it for extended periods of time, and can't report any detriment-- but i couldn't guarantee you wouldn't. their tech'sd give you the skinny-- i called and asked.. so if you're concerned-- call 'em!

Archived