Is there any reason for a "bedroom" guitarist to have great tone?

Drew5887

• Members

I am looking at gear to achieve the tone that I am looking for, but I am not in a band and I don't gig, or record. I basically just practice in my room and occasionally jam with friends. I currently have a Fender Pro Junior and Barber Direct Drive that are perfect for what I am doing now. Is there any sense in trying to find my sound when there is no real outlet for it?

• Members

There's always a reason to improve your tone ! Since when does where you play or if you play out at all been a reason to justify bad tone ?

You know you want better tone so get to it mang ! Better tone will make you want to play more and therefore improve your chops.

Honestly, I have a lot of friends that think like you about tone and I hate it. There is no reason at all to justify having crap tone !

• Members

The gear that I have sometimes makes it difficult to sound good unless my playing is very clean. This is making me a better musician, but this is not the tone that I want. If I were to buy this new rig it would make playing more enjoyable because I would sound better, but it would not make me a better guitarist.

• Members

The gear that I have sometimes makes it difficult to sound good unless my playing is very clean. This is making me a better musician, but this is not the tone that I want. If I were to buy this new rig it would make playing more enjoyable because I would sound better, but it would not make me a better guitarist.

If you have gear that discourages your practice it's not making you a better player.

• Members

If playing is more enjoyable, it'll encourage you to play more. Playing more will ultimately lead to improvement

• Members

Even though I play out and record, I don't try to get my tone to please listeners, I try to get good tone because I want good tone. Why would I want something that doesn't sound pleasing when I could have something that does sound pleasing?

It's not even just about making me play more or practice more and improve, I just want something that is pleasing to listen to.

• Members

There's always a reason to improve your tone ! Since when does where you play or if you play out at all been a reason to justify bad tone ?

You know you want better tone so get to it mang ! Better tone will make you want to play more and therefore improve your chops.

Honestly, I have a lot of friends that think like you about tone and I hate it. There is no reason at all to justify having crap tone !

AYE {censored}ing Men!

• Members

Playing your instrument should be a joy, not a chore. Getting the sound you want is part of that joy.

That said, don't fall into the trap of chasing tone with your wallet, as opposed to your ears. Always learn how to get the most out of the gear you have before getting more. Even if you do ultimately upgrade, the experience will help you get the best sounds out of your new gear.

• Members

Well, I'm not a bedroom guitarist when I'm playing with the band or recording for it. But I do like to just kick on a practise amp and let it rip. I have a simple Rocktek RK15. Its old, I'm sure not the best thing since sliced bread, but gets it makes the right noises. I have distortion pedals, but I rarely hook them up, the gain on the rocktek does fine.

• Members

There's never a reason for anyone to NOT have great tone.

All these cheapo starter pack bull{censored}s are a waste of space. I'd never get my kid one. The frustration of tweaking an amp that only has three knobs, no t00bz, and a {censored}ty 10" speaker (aka Kustom KGA10 will sell for half a million PM sent) is not something I'd want to bestow upon anyone :cry:....teh memoriez :cry:

This is why Bugera has been born.

Great toane for those who can't afford the gear whore lifestyle :love:

• Members

Nice man, my thoughts exactly! :thu:

• Members

It's not bad tone. In fact it's very good tone. The Barber Direct Drive is really an amazing distortion. I would highly recommend it to anybody. That said, its not my ideal tone. It feels wasteful to quest for "the tone" when I already have good tone, and I would only be playing in the basement. I suppose that it depends on whether you see tone as a means to an end, or the end itself.

• Members

when your in your bedroom you can get overcritical of your amp. i think my valveking has the harshest, tinniest sounding piece of junk when i sit down and play it in my office. but when its taken out into a live setting, you forget about the harshness and listen to it in context, and its actually a fairly nice piece of kits. anyways, live will make you think about your gear differently

• Members

Yes this is true. The thing is that I would be going for a two amp setup. One with a heavier distortion and the other with a light crunch. In addition to the expense of this setup, I hate to think of playing through two big amps with the volumes set really really low all the time. Most nice amps are made to be played loud.

• Members

The fact that you admit your current tone is not what you want, leads me to believe that you crave for something more and that is a natural progression if you ask me.

No ones asking you to go out and buy a Bogner but trust me, there're many things out there that'll sound better than a Direct Drive and will not burn a hole in your savings account. It's a good pedal but there are better. It's time for you to go shopping my friend :)

• Members

It's not bad tone. In fact it's very good tone. The Barber Direct Drive is really an amazing distortion. I would highly recommend it to anybody. That said, its not my ideal tone. It feels wasteful to quest for "the tone" when I already have good tone, and I would only be playing in the basement. I suppose that it depends on whether you see tone as a means to an end, or the end itself.

IMHO most of the tone is in the fingers and attack, then there's the psychoacoustics and the listener's ear or refined sense or appreciation of the tone...blah, blah, blah...and sure there is the quest for the holy grail tone but tone is dynamic and in the moment...so...why not have great tone?

• Members

I played many a barroom gig with an LP Deluxe straight into a Pro Jr. a few years back. The band has gotten bigger since (at the time, we were a three piece), and so have the rooms were playing, but a Pro Jr. is a great little amp, and they take pedals great. Maybe you could mess with some more pedals before rehashing the whole rig?:idk:

Archived