Looking for some good and cheap video editing software...anybody?

rog951

• Members

Hey guys, anybody have experience with some good video editing software that isn't too expensive? My camcorder is DVD so I'll also be needing a way to convert the .vob files to "real" video files. Any video guys on here?

• Members

I work with Adobe Premier Pro 2 and Final Cut Pro. Those do most of what I need, but my personal favorite is Sony Vegas. I like it alot more then FCP or Premier. Vegas is just simple and easy to use, plus it's all in real time. Has a ton of built in transitions, VST plugins for audio, and great with anything Firewire.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a copy.

• Members

I would think Sony's Vegas would be your best bet. It started as an audio sequencer that supported video side by side and then focused more and more on video. In use it should feel like your everyday audio sequencer. I have no idea what other professional type things from Adobe or whohaveyou are like. I like the "cubase, but with video" approach.

• Members

Thanks guys! Sounds like Vegas Studio is the leading vote-getter. I guess I should've given my budget up front but I'd say I don't want to spend more than $100 or so. So, Vegas Pro is out of the question, but I'm sure Studio would do all I need and more.

Puddlegum - do you use the Pro or the Studio version of Vegas?

MightyThor - so Vegas Studio will import .vob files directly? If so, that's awesome. I downloaded a bunch of shareware video conversion utilities but I was having problems with the video syncing up. I finally found a site that explained the whole DVD thing a bit and I realized that a lot of the sync and menu information was inside the other files in the TS_VIDEO folder. I managed to get a .wmv file created and imported into Movie Maker, but it's kinda clunky and I'd rather have an all-in-one solution.

DarkAngel - thanks man, I'm used to using Sonar (which I'm suddenly wondering what video capabilities it has) so the DAW look and feel of Vegas should help my learning curve.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

Archived