teh fiddy: 7 mic shootout incl Royer 121

Darth Balls

• Members

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=user&value=Darth%20Balls

Sorry I {censored}ed up teh Megadeth part, didn't play it right , too late. Had to use the SD-1 :love:, had to turn the gain so it pointed to the middle of the tone knob. Teh fiddy was normal input, lead ch, gain on 3, volume on 2 (sorry room too small for 3), everything else on 5. All mics were 1"-1.5" from grill to make things more equal, sorry no 0". Can't do that with the mics that had shockmounts anyways, and you already know how a 57 sounds on the grill. No leads. Funny tempo changes. BC&E means between cap and edge; the middle of the cone, where the ribbed part meets the smooth part. :cop: BC&C means between cap and cone at the seam. 7 mins per upload on dial up :facepalm:. Enjoy!

• Members

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=user&value=Darth%20Balls

Sorry I {censored}ed up teh Megadeth part, didn't play it right , too late. Had to use the SD-1
:love:
, had to turn the gain so it pointed to the middle of the tone knob. Teh fiddy was normal input, lead ch, gain on 3, volume on 2 (sorry room too small for 3), everything else on 5. All mics were 1"-1.5" from grill to make things more equal, sorry no 0". Can't do that with the mics that had shockmounts anyways, and you already know how a 57 sounds on the grill. No leads. Funny tempo changes. BC&E means between cap and edge; the middle of the cone, where the ribbed part meets the smooth part.
:cop:
BC&C means between cap and cone at the seam. 7 mins per upload on dial up
:facepalm:
. Enjoy!

What mic pre were you using? Anything else in the signal chain?

• Members

After the nocturnal hours bump.

This was all straight into the 16/44 linear mode of the stock Roland VS2480. "On" means on axis, perpendicular to the grill. "Off" means off axis, with the mic head at BC&E or BC&C, but pointing towards the cap. Sorry no off axis with the non-dynamic mics. Now you guys can hear how dark the Royer is. I think it works better towards the cap, #14. My favorite is the transformerless 57, though, #3. I think I might have overloaded the regular 57 clips, apologies, all I did was normalize everything, no effects of any kind, but the 57s are a bit louder and clip a tad.

• Members

Is it not a good idea to put a 57 on the grill? I have been doing that but I havent found a good sound yet, wasnt anyone to show me a better way. I need to get a better preamp too.

Only you and your ears can tell me that.;)

But this is just a mic comparison test, not a production method test. I just made sure the mics were in relatively equal positions, so you can tell the differences between mics. Lots of guys understandably don't want to fork out the dough for the R121, and this is yet another mic shootout to let them hear for themselves what they're missing. Which is not much, imo :eek:. Other mics people might be interested in too.

As far as production methods to make it sound good, I've been at it for years, and have sounded like dog{censored} for years. :cry: The latest thing I've been doing is dual miking with the 57 and 421, pulling back the mics for better clarity and high end on two different speakers the 75 and v30, and using eq to take out what I don't want. I'll put up a clip of this soon.

• Members

I liked the 57 as an overall dirty mic,

but I think the condensers had a nice soothness to them; probably more beautifull in the clean sounds.

The Studio projects C1 seemed like it could traverse the gap. It was smooth & warm.. :thu:

& nice fricken work on this comparison. This is usefull stuff right here.. :thu:

Archived