American Bandstand Test

rsadasiv

• Members

I got tired of being in the woodshed, so I'm going to start recording and posting stuff again. This one is more of a collection of grooves than a song, but you have to start somewhere. "Uptown Rulerz Medley", on soundclick and myspace.

Rhythm is something I have been trying to address in the woodshed, so please administer the American Bandstand test - does this have a good beat and can you dance to it?

• Members

1--A little sloppy, particularly the guitar. Glitchy enough that I fell out of it.

2--Not sure how long you could keep it up before it got dull, but good while it lasted.

3--Good--the crashy cymbal was a little much--could tighten up that sound.

4--Sloppy again, especially the guitar. Otherwise, good.

You're taking chances with the drum machine, and they pan out 80-90% of the time. I'm not hearing stock rythyms, but it's not so anti-stock that I get lost on them. Most of these don't need much beyond a voice and bass over top.

• Members

They all started out as Meters (aka The Uptown Rulers) covers.

I'll have to listen to those other source tracks...:)

I like your approach and I think you're part way to making the groove entirely your own (re: 1). If it were me I would go a step further and remove the bass line, the one element tying it to the original source. Experiment playing new bass lines on top, maybe even implying different chords. (It might be worth tightening up the guitar parts first though). Look forward to hearing what you do with these...

• Members

Hey rsadasiv!

I really like the 1st one. Nice groove. Could see/hear a really cool song there.

The 2nd was a little early Duran Duranish (I like Duran Duran, but it's usually hot or cold for some people).

The 3rd not to sure about this one. Maybe a bit tighter.

The 4th - This one has some potential too.

All in all, it sounds pretty interesting. Can't wait to here what you do with them.

Neall

Archived