SUGGESTIONS!

Mr.Blasphymy

• Members

Most folks don't know about the key of Z flat but...

Er... wait.

So, I guess the reason no one's answered yet is they're wondering how best to answer this question. Heck, I know I am.

I guess my thinking here is that so much is going to depend on the instrumentation, the melody, the singer (if any), and so on.

As a guy who has owned a capo almost as long as he's owned guitars (and who has a decent range if not actually a decent voice), I guess I've just always approached keys on an ad hoc basis.

If I have a song in my head (whether one I've written or one I'm simply trying to work out an accompaniment for) I'll fool around with different keys until I find one that works for me as the singer. I'll then either use a capo or different chordings on the guitar to work out the music.

With regards to what other folks do... I know a lot of rockers from maybe ten years ago or so were using drop D bass (and sometimes Db, sometimes tuning the rest of the guitar down a half step and the 6th string down 3 halves) as well as often using open chord tunings or other non-standard tunings. D and Db often have a low or growly kind of sound the way some rockers approach/play with them.

• Members

does anyone have any suggestions on a dark/mysterious/eerie sounding key?

a flat sounds pretty cool... does anyone have any ideas?

Minor keys work pretty well. Write a song with a minor chord as the I**

**"I" as in roman numeral one. The tonic key, if you're familiar with music theory.

Archived