Lipstick on a Pig, Bugera mod and tubes

K-Bizzle

• Members

I pulled that cheap-looking crap off mine about ten minutes after getting it home (I did leave the name plate on). I think it looks better, too.

Honestly, I haven't done anything else to my 333 or 6260 since buying them. I am still playing with different pedals and guitars through them. Every time I think about getting rid of them I back out. I really don't need two 120 watt amps - I probably don't need one, but I just like the doggone things.

If they would make the 6260 or 333 (or anyting else, really) in either a 30 watt head or combo I'd do that in a heartbeat. I know these are geared primarily towards hard rock and metal, but they are great blues amps.

• Members

I pulled that cheap-looking crap off mine about ten minutes after getting it home (I did leave the name plate on). I think it looks better, too.

Honestly, I haven't done anything else to my 333 or 6260 since buying them. I am still playing with different pedals and guitars through them. Every time I think about getting rid of them I back out. I really don't need two 120 watt amps - I probably don't need one, but I just like the doggone things.

If they would make the 6260 or 333 (or anyting else, really) in either a 30 watt head or combo I'd do that in a heartbeat. I know these are geared primarily towards hard rock and metal, but they are great blues amps.

I've yet to get a decent blues tone out of my 333, how did you go about it?

• Members

In my last band we had a guitarist that played a XXX. I don't know what tubes he was running, but he was playing through a 1960 with a similar pick up set to mine. And I will say without a doubt the Bugera sounds better, maybe its the speakers, maybe he had old tubes, maybe he's just not good at EQing.

This Bugera sounds better without a doubt. Its also WAAAAAYYYYY less noisy.

My guess is your old guitarist didn't even bother to retube it thus the lackluster performance of the XXX, as it too benifits greatly from a tube change from the stock tubes. My Triple XXX is dead quiet too, I don't even use the noise gate of my RP2000 on the ultra channel(save the fact I boost the crunch channel though, it needs a little gating for ground hum because of that)

I'd like to hear a side by side comparison of both tweaked out to really compare if possible. :thu:

• Members

My guess is your old guitarist didn't even bother to retube it thus the lackluster performance of the XXX, as it too benifits greatly from a tube change from the stock tubes. My Triple XXX is dead quiet too, I don't even use the noise gate of my RP2000 on the ultra channel(save the fact I boost the crunch channel though, it needs a little gating for ground hum because of that)

I'd like to hear a side by side comparison of both tweaked out to really compare if possible.
:thu:

Thats why I left all those stipulations, because I don't want to make an unfair comparison.

I'd like to compare it 1 to 1 also.

Problem is I don't know anyone close with a nicely tubed/taken care of XXX.

• Members

I wonder how those pieces would look painted black.

I could give it a try.

Whats the difference? I'm not planning on using them anyway.

However I the thing I like most about removing them is being able to see the tubes and trannies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The tonal differences between the Bugeras and the Peaveys seems to generally favor the Bugeras, but I am terrified of their reliability issues and the fact that a good transformer for a high-wattage amp costs too much for me to really trust their tone at high volumes (or trust them not to blow up).

It'd be cool if there was someone modding Bugeras to be more road-worthy...

• Members

You fail.

TADs are what came stock and I don't like them at all in this amp.

I tried my Winged C EL34s in it this morning, and NO. EL34 FTL in the 333.

The JJs are highly recommended in XXXs and thats why I chose them.

Right now as far as power tubes go I have:

Winged C EL34

Winged C 6L6

TAD 6L6GC

JJ 6L6GC

I haven't tried the C 6L6s in it, but I like them so much in my Randall I'm not even gonna try it. I only tried the EL34s because I was curious and had a bit of time before work today.

Oh snap!!

Yeah, he failed alright. My 6262 head came stock with Bugera branded TAD's and although I thought they sounded good when I first got the head, when my friend I sold it to retubed it with your same JJ 6L6's it made a HUGE difference. It sounded worth MUCH more than what he/I paid for it. JJ's FTW for Bugera's. No fail involved there whatsoever. Good job man! I'd bet the farm you'd love the 6XXX series. You should give one a listen.

• Members

Oh snap!!

Yeah, he failed alright. My 6262 head came stock with Bugera branded TAD's and although I thought they sounded good when I first got the head, when my friend I sold it to retubed it with your same JJ 6L6's it made a HUGE difference. It sounded worth MUCH more than what he/I paid for it. JJ's FTW for Bugera's. No fail involved there whatsoever. Good job man! I'd bet the farm you'd love the 6XXX series. You should give one a listen.

I have and I'll probably end up getting when for fun when I see the right price

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Members

MY 6262 died at the age of 11 months of running and giging!!:mad:

It's at the shop being repaired and still waiting!

I bought a Marshall JVM 210H head as a replacement, I can't afford a broken amp, so when i will receive the bugera it will be on sale.

The technician told me that they have a lot of come back with those amp:confused:

OH well!!

Archived